21

Chapter 21 - "Frenemy"

✧"Betrayal is the only truth that sticks

"Betrayal is the only truth that sticks."

Allison pulls up to the Martin's house before she turns towards Lydia, stopping her before she steps out of the car. Allison sighs and catches Lydia's attention.

"I need you to promise that you won't say anything about what just happened." Allison starts and Lydia slightly slumps in the seat.

"I'll promise not to say anything about what just happened if you can tell me what the hell just happened." Lydia says.

"It's--it's kind of complicated." Allison responds and Lydia's nerves begin to get the best of her.

"Well, how 'bout you start with why was Derek there? Or where Jackson went, or what is wrong with Erica?" The strawberry blonde asks her friend. Allison opens her mouth but then closes it.

"Oh, do you need a minute to come up with a plausible lie?" Lydia asks while sitting up straight in the padded seat.

"Part of the reason why I'm asking is because Scott and I aren't supposed to be seeing each other, okay? So it's better if you just keep what you know to yourself." Allison explains while rubbing her hands on her black leggings.

"Fine. I'll keep what I know about you and your boyfriend--which is nothing--to myself." Lydia says while opening the car door. Before she steps out Allison grabs her arm.

"Hey. He's not just my boyfriend. You get that, right?" Allison asks, her voice calm while she keeps her grip on her friend.

"Let me go." Lydia answers, her face soft yet pained.

"Just for one second, please, try and remember--" Allison get's cut off.

"Remember what?" Lydia asks, irritated, her voice rising.

"Remember what it feels like." Allison starts as she let's go of Lydia. Lydia calms down and rests in the seat while she keeps her hand on the door handle.

"All of those times in school when you see him standing down the hall, and you cannot breathe until you're with him. Or those times in class when you--you can't stop looking at the clock because you know that he's standing right out there waiting for you. Don't you remember what that's like?" Allison finishes while her eyes glisten at the thought of Scott.