37

Chapter 37 - "The Overlooked"

"Pain. It's not easy to shy from, is it?"

"They're already here, aren't they?" Jennifer asks Derek angrily. The three of us, me, Scott, and Stiles, step away from our hiding spot to reveal ourselves. I feel so weak and my body absoloutely hurts, but I've made it this far. Before we left the school, Scott and Stiles dragged me to the nurses office and Lydia patched up my side where I was stabbed. Being stabbed doesn't hurt as bad as I thought it would. Maybe because I didn't expect it? I cleaned my face to rid myself of the dried blood and Scott helped me put a butterfly bandage across my head wound while Stiles held me up because apparently I couldn't do so on my own. Lydia stayed back at the school to make sure everyone got out safe. On the way here, Scott took away some of my pain which made me feel so much better, but my body still aches terribly.

"So...they told you it was me? That I'm the one taking people?" Jennifer asks Derek incredously as she looks away from us. I glare at her. Playing innocent? It won't work.

"We told him you're the one killing people." Scott corrects.

"Oh, that's right," She starts with a chuckle. "Committing human sacrifices? What, cutting their throats? Yeah, I probably do it on my lunch hour. That way, I can get back to teaching high school English the rest of the day. That makes perfect sense." Not gonna lie, she's a pretty good actress. If I was naive I would probably believe her. But, too bad for her I'm not.

"Where's my dad?" Stiles asks; tear streaks staining his cheeks.

"How should I know?" Jennifer says as innocently. She looks over at Derek with puppy dog eyes.

"Derek, tell me you don't believe this." She says with a scoff. Derek looks over at us and meets my eyes. I look at him pleadingly. And whether it be his trust in me or the way I look, he turns back towards Jeniffer with his jaw set.

"Do you know what happened to Stiles's father?" He asks coldly.

"No." She says; her voice giving her away.

"Ask her why she almost killed Lydia." I say while looking at Derek.

"And Katherine." Scott finishes. Derek's face falls and even though he's not looking over at me, I can see the fire in his eyes.