20

Chapter 20 - "Venomous"

✧"You protect what you love

"You protect what you love."

"All right, I only found one thing online called the Kanima. It's a were-jaguar from South America that goes after murderers." Stiles explains while the three of us walk down to our first class. The image of the reptile hovering over my body sends a shiver down my spine.

"That thing was not a jaguar." Scott says.

"And we're not murderers." I add on.

"Yeah, but you did see it kill somebody, which is probably why it tried to kill you. And it's still trying to kill you, and it probably won't stop until you're dead." Scott says which makes me and Stiles stop dead in our tracks.

"You know, sometimes I really begin to question this 'friendship'." Stiles says while making quotation marks with his fingers when saying friendship. My eyes flick towards the thin bandage covering the scratch mark on Stiles' forearm. He notices me staring and catches my line of sight. I smirk at him and he returns a small smile.

I sit next to Allison in chemistry. This is the only class where Allison, Lydia, Scott, Stiles, and I have it all together. Scott and Stiles both sit beside Lydia, protecting her from Erica and Isaac who sit two desks behind them. Derek thinks Lydia's the Kanima, sure she's been acting weird but she is not the kanima. Allison turns her head to look at me.

"Are you okay after yesterday?" She whispers.

"Yeah, I'm fine. I guess a little shaken up but I'm okay." I answer and she slightly nods.

"I'm always here if you ever need to talk about stuff." Allison assures and I smile at her before thanking her.

"Einstein once said, 'two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.'" Mr. Harris says, starting off class.

"I myself have encountered infinite stupidity." He says while patting Stiles' shoulder.

"So to combat the plague of ignorance in my class, you're going to combine efforts through a round of group experiments. Let's see if two heads are indeed better than one." Mr. Harris says while looking around the class.

"Or in Mr. Stilinski's case, less than one." He says while looking down at Stiles.

"Erica, you take the first station. You'll start..." Mr. Harris isn't able to finish because hands start flying up. Stupid hormonal teenagers volunteering to be Erica's partner.