34

Chapter 34 - "Currents"

"It was too late"

Scott and I walk side by side into the busy hospital with a bag of food, that we prepared ourselves, for our mom. Whe catch her attention from behind the front desk and she sighs in relief at the sight of food. She rounds the desk before hurrying over to us with a smile on her face despite the hundreds of injured patients. My optimistic mother.

"I'm starving." She says while taking the bag from Scott. We follow her back to the desk where she places the bag and I can't but examine the surface; looking for the orange and blue flowers. Nothing. Mom takes off her blue latex gloves and turns around with a smile still plastered on her face. I fix my expression and let a light smile take over my sorry.

"Oh, I'm sorry. I'm sorry. Thank you for bringing me dinner." She says before giving Scott a hug. I smile at her but she's too caught up in the hug to notice. My mom works so hard and barely has any time for herself. I love her.

When she pulls away from Scott she looks at me with a smile. I return it as she pulls me into a tight embrace. She smells like a mix of perfume and hospital. Her curly hair that is tied back in a ponytail tickles my face and I giggle while we pull away.

"Is everything okay?" Scott asks her seconds after she pulled away from me. Mom turns around to look down the hall at all of the injured patients and doctors that are treating them.

"Except for half of the accident victims in a ten car pile-up being rerouted here from downtown," She starts while looking back at us.

"And the E.R. attending not answering any of his pages, yeah, I'm okay." She finishes. My poor mom looks so tired.

"What does not answering pages mean?" Scott asks.

"It means that nobody can find him, so now we have to wait for the on call to get here." Mom answers right before an injured women walks up behind her. She has short brown hair that sits above her shoulders, she looks scared and she's sweating, her blue v-neck shows a red mark that is all over her chest.

"Miss." She says, her voice shaky. Mom turns around to face the poor women.

"Yes?" Mom asks sweetly.