Chapter 4: Sooner Or Later, The Truth Will Come Out!

Over the following days Clay continued listening to the tapes. While he was listening to the tapes, Alex gotten into a fight with Monty at school after Monty almost hit him with his car. The fight which resulted in Monty getting suspended for 3 days while Alex was let off with a warning. Clay was approached by Sheri Holland for help with their homework as Clay brings Sheri home to help her. When they arrive...

Laine Jensen: Hey.

Clay was surprised to see his mother home instead being at work.

Clay Jensen: Oh. Hey, Mom, I thought you'd be at work.

Laine Jensen: I finally caved and brought some work home. There's going to be late nights on this one. Hi, Sheri.

Sheri Holland: Hey, Ms. Jensen.

Laine Jensen: How's your mom?

Sheri Holland: She's good. Looks like a big case.

Clay Jensen: We're going to go up to my room to work on a paper for English.

Laine Jensen: Sounds good.

They begin going up the stairs.

Laine Jensen: Oh, Clay, honey, keep the door open.

And much to Clay's embarrassment...

Clay Jensen: Oh, my God, yes, Mom, fine.

Sheri giggles at the embarrassing moment. They make their way up to Clay's room as they begin doing their homework.

Sheri Holland: I think you're lucky your parents are still together. I mean, it's rare.

Clay Jensen: I guess. I think they're bonded by their shared love of humiliating me in every way possible.

Sheri Holland: Wasn't enough to keep mine together.

Clay Jensen: I don't think I can imagine promising to love someone forever. But if you can do that, then how can it just be over? Like that, you know?

Sheri Holland: People fall out of love, I guess.

Clay Jensen: Well, that sucks.

Sheri Holland: Yeah, but... at least it means they fell in love in the first place.

Clay Jensen: Right.

They do their homework into the night. Their homework is a book report, as they were doing it they talk and give their opinions on the book the were writing about while sitting on the floor next to Clay's bed.

Clay Jensen: To me, the thing about the story that's so sad is John Grady, you know?

Sheri Holland: Mm-hmm.

Clay Jensen: He has everything he wants. He's made it all across Mexico to this ranch, and he's training wild horses and he has everything he's been looking for... but he gives it all up for this girl.

Sheri Holland: That doesn't sound sad to me. That sounds... romantic.

Clay Jensen: Yeah, no. It is. Uh, but she's the boss's daughter, so... uh, being with her is dangerous, you know?

Sheri Holland: But he does it anyway.

Clay Jensen: Yeah, she comes down from the main house in the middle of the night to be with him.