Chapter 11: The Trial Begins & The 1st Polaroid

5 Months Later

5 Months have past since Hannah Baker tried committing suicide and she's still in a coma. Andy & Olivia Baker have been separated and filed for divorce. They've both have moved out of the house and moved in to separate houses. Alex Standall survived his attempt after trying to shoot himself in the head. Alex was in a coma for 3 months before he finally woke up. The others couldn't believe that Alex tried ending his own life just weeks after Hannah tried to. When Alex awoke from his coma he lost about a month's memory. He doesn't remember listening to the tapes, eventually the others told him about them. No one has seen or heard from Justin since he told Jessica the truth. After telling her parents what happened to her, Jessica Davis tried to report Bryce Walker but she wasn't ready. Jessica had struggled to accept being a rape survivor. Jessica & Alex became friends again, as they both struggled with their own demons. Jessica had since taken a leave of absence from school. Zach Dempsey has been helping Alex out with physical therapy. Because he put a bullet through his head, Alex now has trouble using one of his arms and needs a cane to support him while walking. Bryce Walker has acted like nothing is wrong. He has since started dating Chlöe Rice, the new cheerleading captain. Zach introduced them to each other. Sheri Holland has turned herself in for knocking down the stop sign that resulted in the death of Jeff Atkins and served 5 months in juvenile hall. She's since been released from juvie and is returning to Liberty tomorrow along with Jessica & Alex. Tyler Down had been buying guns and been just using them to shoot empty cans & bottles. Marcus Cole, Ryan Shaver, & Courtney Crimsen have both been living their lives like nothing happened. Tony Padilla was dumped by his boyfriend, Brad. Brad broke up with Tony because he didn't want to date a high school boy. As for Clay Jensen, he reconnected with Skye Miller. They became friends again and then that blossomed into a relationship, they have been dating for 4 months. Clay has told Skye everything about Hannah & the tapes. Clay still visits Hannah at the hospital. As for the lawsuit, the Bakers agreed to a settlement much to the displeasure of everyone who wanted justice for Hannah. Clay has been helping Skye with her problem with cutting herself. Skye takes Clay to a tattoo parlor to get a tattoo of a semi-colon tattoo, which is a symbol representing suicide awareness but fainted halfway through as he faints and only got a comma. Later on, Clay & Skye go to their spot as they paint a mural. Clay is disappointed how his tattoo ended up.

Clay Jensen: It's a fucking comma.

Skye Miller: So it signifies a pause. As in, you paused getting a tattoo in order to faint.

Clay Jensen: Even just getting the tattoo, I fucking fail.

Skye Miller: Hey. Hannah will forgive you when she wakes up.

Skye kisses Clay.

Clay Jensen: Look, I'm not... I'm not thinking about her. Right now.

Skye Miller: It's okay if you are.

Clay Jensen: I'm not. Okay. And there's not gonna be a trial, her folks are gonna settle, Bryce'll get away with it, and you know, fuck it all. Fuck the world. All I care about is you.

Clay & Skye begin making out.

Clay Jensen: Sure you're ready for this?

Skye Miller: Are you sure you are? I've done it before.

Clay Jensen: Yeah, I'm ready, I mean... I have been, and I am today. Ready.

Clay & Skye take their clothes off as they lay on a couch when Clay starts to feel her thigh when he feels something.

Clay Jensen: What is that?

Skye Miller: It's nothing. Keep going.

Clay Jensen: Wait, those are cuts. You cut down there?