Chapter 25: The Sentencing

1 Month Later

Thurday April 18, 2018

A month has past since we've lost the trial. Bryce & Justin were both arrested, but they didn't arrest me. Thank you, Dennis. But Bryce made bail of course. While another trial was getting set up, I focused on my physical therapy. I can almost move my legs. I'll be on crutches until my legs are fully healed. A week after the trial, I was discharged from the hospital. I moved in with my mom at her small house. They threw me a welcome home party. It was nice of them. Clay & I got more closer to each other. Clay told me that while I was in a coma, he was in a relationship with Skye Miller. It didn't end so well for them, mostly because Clay was not over me. We decided to give each other a chance. That's right, Hannah Baker & Clay Jensen are together. Wow, that sounds about right. He's been helping me out with physical therapy. So have Alex & Zach. Zach calls it P.T. and I like calling it that, much easier. I kinda like Alex helping me out because I get to help him out as well. Both me & Alex talked about our attempts. Speaking of, I'm gonna have to go see a shrink and talk about it and everything that's happened to me. Clay recommended a Dr. Ellman. He was Clay's therapist and now he's Alex's. I didn't know Clay used to see a shrink. Tony introduced me to his boyfriend, Caleb. He's a great guy. He owns a gym in town and he teaches a self defense class. Caleb offered me a spot for his class once my legs are 100%. I accepted his offer. Since me, Jessica, & Alex are friends again, we started going to Monet's together again. Clay's mom has been trying everything to help out Justin who's still in juvie. Me & Jessica have testified against Bryce. They made Monty testify but he denied that he ever saw Bryce raping me. Alex told me about it. He didn't know it was me, but I forgave him. Monty, not so much. It was time for Bryce to face the music. He & Justin were found guilty and now it was time for Bryce's sentencing. The courtroom was empty. It was just me, Jessica, our parents, Mrs. Jensen who was there for Justin, & the Walkers. This was done behind closed door.

Bryce Walker: It truly hurts me to think that my actions have caused anyone emotional distress. When I think of the pain that I may have caused, I-I just... Well, I feel awful. Every day, I wish that I could go back in time. I was used to a certain culture of partying and hookups, and many of us never questioned it, but it is time to question it. And I know that I need to be the one to set an example. I'm... I'm trying every day to be a better man, to be the man that my parents raised me to be. And to be a positive influence at Liberty High. It is my sincerest hope that you will allow me to do so. Thank you, sir.

I don't believe a god damn word he just said. And those glasses aren't fooling anyone.

Judge: Does the county accept the allocution?

District Attorney: We do, Your Honor. Prior to sentencing, the victims would like to exercise their right to make their own statements.

Judge: Proceed.

Jessica was first to go. We squeeze each other's hand and nod to each other. You can do this, Jess.

Jessica Davis: Your Honor, thank you for this opportunity to address the court. If it's all right, for the first part of my statement, I'd like to address the defendant directly.

Judge: Go right ahead.

Jessica Davis: The first weekend in September, my parents were out of town and my little brothers were at their grandparents'. I wanted to host a party like I thought a popular cheerleader should. My boyfriend was there. Your friend Justin. We had been drinking. We decided to go up to my room. I remember making out with him. And then I... (Inhales) And then I started to fall asleep or... or pass out. I just... I remember thinking that I just needed to close my eyes for a few minutes. Then he... Then he walked out of the room. And then I remember waking up to you pulling off my underwear. I remember feeling you push yourself inside of me. (Sniffles) I may not remember all of the details, but I will never forget the sheer terror of feeling your weight on top of me, of not being able to breathe. Your Honor, when we leave this courtroom, Bryce Walker gets to leave convinced that he chose the wrong girl to have sex with. I get to leave constantly looking over my shoulder for monsters dressed up as the popular kid, constantly on edge and assuming the worst in every boy. The sentence you decide today can tell Bryce Walker what he did was wrong. It can say that to every boy, every man who behaves like he does. And it can say to victims like me that our story matters. Thank you.