Chapter 40: The Problem With Justin

I couldn't get any sleep last night. The thought of what Monty did to Tyler, couldn't get it out of my mind. Poor Tyler.

Bryce Walker: I know, poor Tyler.

And then there's him. Fucking go away!

Bryce Walker: Come on, Baker. You can't get rid of me that easy. Now, about my murder. At first, I thought Clay killing me made sense. But Monty on the other hand...

Had the most to lose if anyone knew what he did.

Bryce Walker: Exactly. He went off the rails during your trial by fucking with your friends. Hell, he was willing to kill Clay by running him off the road. If he's capable of that, then he's capable of killing me because...

Out of all of us, Monty is the only one who is capable of taking on Bryce because Monty takes steroids!

Bryce Walker: Exactly.

I get up from my bed as Bryce disappears. I get ready for school and I go to the kitchen to have breakfast as my dad, Valerie, & Bridgette are already having breakfast as my dad & Valerie were talking until I joined them at the table. They were giving me a look.

Hannah Baker: What?

Dad & Valerie look at each other.

Valerie: Bridgette, why don't you go get ready for school.

Bridgette: Okay.

Bridgette runs off to get ready for school.

Hannah Baker: What's going on?

Valerie: The police just had a press conference. They've named Clay Jensen a person of interest in Bryce's murder case.

Hannah Baker: Person of Interest? What does that mean?

Andy Baker: It makes him the prime suspect in Bryce's murder.

This can't be happening. Clay is innocent.

Hannah Baker: But, Clay is innocent.

Andy Baker: How can you know, you weren't with him that night. No one was. He has no alibi.

Hannah Baker: I believe Clay. He wouldn't do...

Andy Baker: He did pointed a gun at Bryce.

Hannah Baker: How do you know that?

Valerie: Everyone in town knows.

Andy Baker: Hannah, maybe it's best if you keep your distance from him until this blows over.

Hannah Baker: I can't believe this. Clay was there for me when I was in a coma. And now I'm gonna be there for him!

I lost my appetite. I just stand up, get my stuff, & leave. Instead, I think I'll go to Monet's for breakfast.

Justin wakes up as he sees Clay sitting on his bed staring at him.

Justin Foley: What? What's going on?

Clay Jensen: Yeah. You tell me.

Clay stands up from his bed and takes out the drugs he found in Justin's gym bag from his pocket as Justin immediately sits up.

Justin Foley: You went through my fucking shit?

Clay Jensen: Let's skip the righteous anger and fast forward to you explaining why you have an Oxy prescription in the name of Bryce Walker.