Chapter 58: Gordon Lightfoot

For starters, Tyler, Clay, & Tony are alright. Can't say the same for the gun dealer, but he's still alive. Thank god. The police call for an ambulance for the dealer as they also round up me, Clay, & Tony. The ambulance show up and take the dealer away as Sheriff Diaz & Alex's dad show up and they take Tyler away. Now the sheriff wants to have a word with us.

Sheriff Diaz: So you kids heard there was an operation, and wanted to warn Tyler?

Clay Jensen: Yes, sir.

Tony Padilla: That's right.

I just nod at the sheriff.

Sheriff Diaz: What led you to believe Tyler was buying illegal guns?

Tony Padilla: I found photos of guns in his backpack during the active shooter drill, printed from the internet like he was gonna buy. I was...

Hannah Baker: We were scared.

Sheriff Diaz: And that was the only reason you had to suspect him?

Tony Padilla: It was.

Sheriff Diaz: He didn't tell you why you had to drive him to the station Christmas Eve?

Clay Jensen: No, but I was worried about him. He was in trouble.

Sheriff Diaz: And you thought you'd warn him.

Hannah Baker: Yes, sir.

The police had to debrief the 3 of us as we went down to the police station. They put us in the interrogation room where Alex's dad explain to us what was really going on with Tyler since Christmas Eve.

Bill Standall: Tyler was an informant, and he assisted us with a number of operations.

The sheriff enters the room to join us.

Sheriff Diaz: We traced a bag-load of illegal guns to him. Deferred charges in exchange for his help getting guns like that off the street.

Tony Padilla: Jesus Christ.

Hannah Baker: Oh, my god.

Sheriff Diaz: It was Deputy Standall's idea, and a good one.

Bill Standall: Look, Tyler put himself in harm's way to help us, and we should be grateful for that. All of us, our entire community is safer because of his sacrifice.

Tony Padilla: Yes, sir.

Hannah Baker: We almost got him killed.

Clay Jensen: Can we talk to him?

Sheriff Diaz: No. Not just yet.

We almost got Tyler killed tonight. I don't know how I would've dealt with that if that happened. I'm just glad that he's safe now.

A week had past since Tyler's police take down of the gun dealer. Tyler hasn't been to school since and his friends are worried. Clay wakes up in the middle of the night after having a bad dream about Tyler. He takes a seat at the table as Justin arrives.

Clay Jensen: Where've you been?

Justin Foley: Jessica's.

Clay Jensen: You all right?

Justin Foley: You all right?

Justin wasn't sober as he was making his way to the bathroom.

Clay Jensen: Justin...