Chapter 49: Sanderson University

6 Months Later

Pastor: We made a cruel world. My generation. My parents' generation. There's too little kindness, too little caring, too much hate, anger, and hurt. We talk a good game about protecting our children, but we leave too much on the table that might surely save their lives.

Present

It's the early morning, but still dark outside and Clay is filling out college applications. Clay has been having trouble trying to figure out what to write for his college application essay. Suddenly, he's getting a video call. He was getting a video call Monty. Clay begins to panic as he declines the call. The caller tries again as Clay once again denies the call and blocks the number. He then sees a moving shadow in the bathroom and goes to investigate. Clay turns on the light in the bathroom and there was nobody there. He turns the water sink on and washes his face as he looks at his reflection in the mirror. He sees the water on his face moving sideways like in a sci-fi movie. He grabs a towel to dry off his face as he looks at his reflection again, this time his reflection is smiling back at him which is freaking him out.

Justin Foley: Dude.

Suddenly, he turns around and sees Justin standing in the doorway and sees that it's morning and bright outside.

Justin Foley: You... OK?

Clay Jensen: Yeah.

Justin Foley: No sleep again?

Clay Jensen: No, I... slept.

Justin Foley: Dude, I've been home a week and a half, and I don't think you've slept more than an hour or 2 every night.

Clay Jensen: You're asleep when I'm sleeping.

Justin Foley: Can I, um... I need to take my morning shit.

Clay got out of the bathroom so Justin can take his morning shit. Clay's paranoia is making him lose track of time as he looks at the clock by his bed and sees that 3am has turned into to 7am in a matter of seconds for him.

It's only our 2nd day back and we already have a field trip set up for the seniors of Liberty high. Today, we'll be taking a trip to Sanderson University which is here in Evergreen County. I did not know that Evergreen had a university. Well, I'm not going to apply to Sanderson because the last thing I need is to still be in this hellhole. But since it's mandatory, I have to go. Clay is also not eager to wanting to go.

Justin Foley: I just don't think you should skip the tour. It's mandatory.

Clay Jensen: Since when does the word "mandatory" mean anything to you? My dad's been teaching at Sanderson since I was 8. I know the campus.

Justin Foley: But this is about going to school there. Maybe you might do that.

Clay Jensen: No, that would make my dad too happy. And it's too close to home. I need to get out of this town.

Hannah Baker: Me too. I want to get far away from this town as well. Now, let's rewind... Your dad works at Sanderson?

Clay Jensen: Yeah, he teaches there.

Hannah Baker: And there's a chance that he makes a cameo for the tour. Now I want to go.

Clay Jensen: Just so my dad can embarrasse me?

Hannah Baker: Like only a dad can. And Justin, why would you look at Sanderson when you have Occidental?

Justin told me that a recruiter spoke to him about Occidental University. I'm glad that someone want to have Justin at their university.