Chapter 31: The Truth About Chlöe

Present Day

It had been a day since Bryce was reported missing. Ani was about to leave for school when sees Evergreen County Police Sherriff Diaz talking with Nora Walker.

Sheriff Diaz: Mrs. Walker, it's still possible that Bryce just left of his own accord.

Nora Walker: He hasn't touched his bank accounts or his credit card since Friday. His phone goes to voicemail.

Sheriff Diaz: Does he usually take your calls?

Nora Walker: I'm sorry?

Sheriff Diaz: Maybe you and Bryce had been arguing? Was... was he happy at home?

Nora Walker: Was he happy?

Sheriff Diaz: I mean no offense, ma'am.

Nora Walker: Clay Jensen was lying to you all. He knows something. Something happened at that high school homecoming.

Sheriff Diaz: It seems like a whole lot happened, but until we know something specific, we can't bring him in again.

Nora Walker: Well, then talk to his friend. Tony. They both had issues with my son.

Sheriff Diaz: With all due respect, ma'am, they weren't the only ones.

Nora noticed that Ani was watching as she goes to close the door.

Nora Walker: Clay Jensen, Sheriff. There's a history there and you know it.

Ani was starting to worry for her friend. Clay wakes up all sweating as he turns to see that Justin was already awake.

Justin Foley: You were shouting. Thought the nightmares went away?

Clay Jensen: They're back.

Justin Foley: Tyler again?

Clay Jensen: I don't know. I don't really remember.

Clay had been having nightmares since Spring Fling. The moment when Tyler pointed his riffle at him & Hannah traumatized him. Clay always thought to himself that he should've seen it coming with Tyler because he did fire guns with him which lead to him going to the Walker house. After showering up and getting ready, Clay & Justin arrived to school...

Ani texted me & Clay to meet with her in the rec room. Ani is telling us that the sheriff showed up to the Chatham and Bryce's mom wants him to go after Clay & Tony.

Ani Achola: It wasn't even a deputy, it was the actual sheriff. She wants him to go after you and Tony. And she thinks something happened at Homecoming.

Clay Jensen: I mean, if we find out where Bryce went, if we can point them in a direction...

Ani Achola: You think he just left town?

Hannah Baker: Or he's hiding.

Clay Jensen: Or who knows? Maybe he assaulted another girl.

Hannah Baker: Maybe he knew his luck was about to run out.

Ani Achola: Maybe Zach knows.

Hannah Baker: How would Zach know?

Clay takes his phone out and shows me 2 pictures from the Homecoming game. Pictures of Bryce injuring Zach.

Hannah Baker: Wait, Bryce did that to him?

Clay Jensen: He told Justin that it was some linebacker and told me that he didn't know.