Chapter 65: Graduation

The moment we've been waiting for is finally here. Graduation. My parents were super excited for it and so was I. But at the same time, I'm also sad because Justin isn't here. The same goes for Bryce & Monty. They were suppose to graduate too. Jessica told me that when she spoke to Bolan about canceling the the Homecoming game, he told her that Bryce wanted to transfer back to Liberty. He would've graduated with us if he had transferred. Can't say the same with Monty who was locked up. Now, about our future... here what's in store for us. After getting rejected from her top 3 colleges and despite taking the blame for the riot & everything she's done with H.O. like the Homecoming protest, Jessica got into Berkeley. She's not the only one who also got into Cal, so did Tyler. So Alex won't be alone next year. And speaking of Tyler, he & Estella are dating now. I'm happy that they found each other. Ani got into 9 different schools. The school she choose to go is Stanford University. Stanford & Cal aren't that far from each other, they're almost an hour away and they're rivals. Both schools are in the Bay Area, which is an hour away from Evergreen County. Zach managed to get into a music school, which is also in the Bay Area. He's gonna study guitar and voice. He does have a nice singing voice and I've seen him play the guitar. So everyone is staying here in the Bay Area. But 3 of us aren't. Tony is going to the University of Nevada. At the request of his father, Tony sold Padilla Automotive to Caleb so he can be able to go to Nevada. Then there's me & Clay. We're both heading east. I'm going to New York and he's going to Providence. We'll be 3 hours away from each other. We'll try to see each other on the weekends. So here's to the next 4 years. I'm also looking forward at seeing old friendly faces at graduation. Courtney Crimsen, Ryan Shaver, Scott Reed, & Chlöe Rice will be there to watch us graduate. Jessica's mom & her brothers moved to Seattle last December for her new job, they flew in to watch Jessica graduate. Jessica also has family flying from her Milwaukee. Another sad thing about graduation is that Padillas can't be here. Tony had no one from his family coming to graduation, or so he thinks. Caleb told me that he's flying in his littles sister from Arizona. He's has no idea, I can't wait to see his reaction. Enough talk, the ceremony has begun. We all make our way to our seats. Liberty left an seat empty for Justin as a tribute. I'm sitting in the 3rd row where the students who's last names start with A & B are seated. Jessica & Clay are sitting on the stage where they will be speaking to everyone. Clay was nervous. He told me that he didn't write anything, he's just gonna speak from the heart. When someone says that, that means that it's gonna be good. Principal Bolan is now on the podium as he's speaking to the class of 2019.

Principal Bolan: I admire you all. You've been tested well beyond the classroom, and you have endured. Now, you may not believe me. Your... (Chuckles) ...class president and class speaker, in particular, may not believe me. But all we have ever wished for, myself, the educators here today, all of your parents, all we have truly wished for is to see that you are all happy and healthy and safe. This class, in particular, has made that hellishly hard.

Yeah, we did.

Principal Bolan: But I have faith in you. (Chuckles) All of you. And I hope that we have taught you well. I know you have taught me. I'm grateful. And I'm proud of you all.

Principal Bolan was finished with his speech as me & everyone else applaud and cheered. Jessica was up next.

Jessica Davis: Look, here's the thing. There should be more of us here. And lately, I have been thinking about why they're not here. I have a history of causing trouble with my speeches. Principal Bolan actually had to approve my speech just so I wouldn't make trouble.

Of course.

Jessica Davis: But that was a month ago. And my life has changed since then. But don't worry, I'm not causing any trouble today. Because I just want you to hear me. Some of you circulated a petition this year, demanding I be removed from office. Saying that I was a one-issue president, and I had made my point, and I should just shut up. Well, no girls signed that petition.