Chapter 9: The Confrontation

After hearing his tape, Clay listened to the next one. Reason number 12, Bryce Walker. Clay learned that Jessica wasn't the only victim of Bryce Walker, he did the same with Hannah. Clay wakes up the next morning as he makes his way to the kitchen and serves himself a cup of coffee.

Matt Jensen: You still drinking coffee?

Clay Jensen: You're still drinking coffee.

Matt Jensen: Yes. I guess we just hope for more for our children. We'll probably live longer, if that helps.

Clay Jensen: If your generation doesn't destroy the planet first.

Matt Jensen: It's too late, I'm afraid.

Laine Jensen: Clay, about the Baker trial...

Matt Jensen: Can we just have one morning without discussing that?

Laine Jensen: The subpoenas go out today.

Clay Jensen: Who's getting one besides me?

Laine Jensen: Sorry, Clay, I'm not at liberty to discuss it. The other day, you asked me if a person could be prosecuted if they hurt someone, but the victim couldn't come forward. You said it was hypothetical, but... you were talking about Hannah, weren't you?

Clay Jensen: I wasn't, actually.

Laine Jensen: Because if something happened to her and you were involved in any way...

Clay Jensen: You think I hurt her?

Matt Jensen: Lainie.

Laine Jensen: I don't.

Clay Jensen: If I did hurt her, and I admitted it, I could go to jail.

Laine Jensen: W-Well, this is a civil proceeding, not criminal. But it is sworn testimony.

Clay Jensen: So if I lied, it's perjury.

Laine Jensen: Why would you need to lie?

Clay started to come up with an idea as the door bell rings.

Clay Jensen: If I knocked down a stop sign and a kid got killed, is that manslaughter?

Laine Jensen: Clay, what the hell are we talking about?

Clay Jensen: I'm sorry, Mom. I'm not at liberty to discuss it.

The door bell rings once more.

Clay Jensen: It's... probably for me, don't you think?

Laine goes to answer the door as a police officer delivers her a summons for Clay. The same went for everyone on the tapes. As a police officer is handing over Alex's summons to his father, Justin & Alex overhears them.

Justin Foley: They're still talking. Jesus! Fucking Hannah!

Alex Standall: (Sarcastic) Yeah, fucking Hannah. Fuck her for trying to kill herself.

Justin Foley: Dude, this is all gonna come out now. Aren't you freaked?

Alex Standall: No. I'm glad.

Justin Foley: Seriously? We're all fucked now.

Alex Standall: We were fucked anyway.

At school, Marcus & Courtney are freaking out over the depositions. Tyler asks them about it when Monty appears and pushes Tyler to the floor and laughs. Tyler retaliates by pushing him back but Monty grabs him by his face and pins him on the wall, only for Bryce to break it up. Tyler has had enough. After school, Tyler goes to meet someone to purchase a gun. Jessica opted not to go to school after what transpired last night. Jessica enters her room and is startled by seeing Justin sitting on her bed.