Chapter 57: Tyler's Deal

Clay arrives home with his parents as he goes to the outhouse while his parent go inside their home. Clay enters the outhouse as he sees Justin is already in bed sleeping. Clay gets on his bed as he's relived that he's back home and not in a psych ward. As he lays on his bed, he looks up to the ceiling and sees the very familiar logo that was spray painted on the school's office doors. The next day at school, the rest of the gang had their college interviews. The first one up was Jessica Davis.

College Recruiter: They say that resiliency is the truest predictor of success.

Jessica Davis: Do they say that?

College Recruiter: Mm-hmm.

Jessica Davis: Huh. But isn't resiliency just one more way of saying that we should cope with things rather than trying to change them?

College Recruiter: I, um...

Jessica Davis: And what does real change look like? I, um... I had two friends. Two very different friends. 2 People I love... who each had a moment... in their lives when they looked in their world and saw that nothing was ever gonna change. Ever. And they each made a decision... in that one moment. One... terrible, painful decision... that they could never take back. And that's what brought the change. Painful... awful... change.

College Recruiter: Change is never easy.

Jessica Davis: (Chuckles Lightly) No. No, no, it isn't. Thank you for that.

Deputy Standall arrived to Liberty as he pulls Justin out of class to have a chat in the hallways.

Bill Standall: Um, I'm sorry to pull you out of class like this, buddy, but it's important.

Justin Foley: What is it? Is it Clay? Matt and Lainie gave him the day off. He... he's still recovering.

Bill Standall: Mm-hmm. No, it's not about Clay. (Inhales Slowly) It's about your mom. It, uh... it appears she passed away yesterday. We got the call this morning.

Justin Foley: She... what?

Bill Standall: Yeah, she was found by a patrol car. Routine sweep, down by the docks.

Justin Foley: Seth?

Bill Standall: No, he's still upstate. We checked with the Bureau of Prisons, and there's no sign of foul play.

Justin Foley: She OD'ed?

Bill Standall: There's some evidence for that, but we're waiting on a toxicology report. (Inhales, Exhales Deeply) I know you two hadn't been in touch for quite some time.

Justin Foley: Yeah, um... we hadn't.

Bill Standall: So, so sorry, buddy.

Justin Foley: Thank you... for telling me.

Bill Standall: Do you want me to give you a ride home? To the Jensens? You should take the day off. I can talk to Principal Bolan, tell him what's going on.

Justin Foley: If it's all right, sir, I'd like to stay at school. I'm... trying to keep my attendance perfect. And I've got a college interview today. (Chuckles)

Bill Standall: OK. Here if you need, OK?

Justin Foley: Mm.

Justin returns to his class as he tries to hold in his grief for the loss of his mother, Amber Foley. Alex is now in his interview with his college interviewer as he's currently nervous.

College Recruiter: Alex?

Alex Standall: I'm sorry, I can't... I can't right now. Um... (Scoffs) I don't... I don't deserve to go to college.