Chapter 30: Jessica's Speech

May 2018

Jessica's presidential campaign is now underway. Me & Ani have been helping out Jessica by passing out flyers & buttons. Gosh, I feel like Courtney & Marcus now. I no longer need my crutches as I can finally walk on my own. I've started working out at Caleb's gym and took him up on that offer to take self defense class. While I was passing out flyers, I heard that Zach was voted team captain for the football team which is great. I'm proud of Zach. Although, I am surprised that they voted for Zach instead of Monty. I mean if you think about it: Bryce was the team captain, Monty is best friends with Bryce, Monty should've been team captain. Oh, well. As I'm passing out Jessica's flyers, this jock comes up to me.

Charlie St. George: Hi.

Hannah Baker: (Annoyed) Hi.

I give him a flyer. This jock, I don't remember seeing him at Liberty before my attempt.

Hannah Baker: You know, I don't think I've seen you before.

Charlie St. George: Oh, that's because I wasn't here when you...

He stops as I look at him. He begins to get nervous.

Hannah Baker: Tried offing myself.

Charlie St. George: I'm sorry, I didn't mean to...

Hannah Baker: No sweat. It's bound to happen. Someone bringing it up. So you're new?

Charlie St. George: No, I've been coming here for 2 years. I'm a sophomore. I took some time off around that time because my mom got sick and passed away.

Hannah Baker: I'm sorry.

Charlie St. George: It's fine. When I came back, I heard what happened to you. Everyone was talking about you.

Hannah Baker: I know. Judging by your jacket, you're a jock.

Charlie St. George: Yeah. I'm a quarterback for the football team.

Hannah Baker: You're friends with Bryce Walker or Monty?

Charlie St. George: Yeah, I am. And I know what Bryce did to you and to Jessica Davis. I'm sorry about that.

Hannah Baker: I'll have you know that I don't trust the jocks nor do I like them because of what they did in The Clubhouse.

Charlie St. George: Oh, I had nothing to do with that. I mean, I've been to it but nothing happened when I went there. I swear. Look, you don't trust jocks, I get it. I just wanted to introduce myself and let you know that I'm not like the other jocks.

Hannah Baker: We'll see about that.

I walk away from Charlie as I continue passing out flyers. I run into Clay who was putting up a flyer for robotics club as I join him.

Hannah Baker: Mind if I put a flyer next to yours?

Clay Jensen: I don't see why not.

I put up one of Jessica's flyer's next to Clay's flyer.

Chlöe Rice: Hey, number 85.

We both hear Chlöe's voice as we turn to see her approaching Zach at his locker.

Zach Dempsey: Hey, there. What's up?

Chlöe Rice: Well, I just wanted to let you know that I am assigned to be your official cheerleader for Spring Workout. So...

Chlöe takes out a rabbit's foot.

Chlöe Rice: For luck.

Then she pins it on Zach's letterjacket.