Chapter 63: Justin's Funeral

Today, we say our final goodbye to Justin. As I'm sitting down on my bed, I scroll through my phone and look at all the pictures that I had of Justin. I then put my phone to sleep as I'm all dressed up in black for his funeral. I've never been to one before.

Olivia Baker: Hannah.

I turn to see my mother standing by the door. I called her about Justin when I first heard about his diagnosis. I then called her when Justin passed away. With graduation next week, my mom flew in a week early to attend the funeral.

Olivia Baker: How are you holding up?

Hannah Baker: I just can't believe that he's gone, mom. He was going to graduate with us. He was gonna go to college. He had his whole life together. He finally had a family. And now he's gone.

My mom enters my room and sits down next to me.

Olivia Baker: I think back to the moment when I found you in that bathtub with your wrist slit open. I will always remember the feeling that I had that day.

My mom carefully grabs my wrist and rolls up my sleeve as we look at my scar.

Olivia Baker: I thought I'd lost you that day, but the doctors saved you. They gave you a second chance at life.

Hannah Baker: Clay did the same for Justin. He found him on the streets and brought him back and gave him a home and a family. We got a second chance. I managed to pick myself back up and got better. But Justin... (Sobbing) His demons got the best of him. Why did he had to die, mom? Why?

My mom brings me in for a hug as she cradles me like she used to do when I was a kid.

Olivia Baker: I don't know, sweetie. But I just thank the lord that you and your friends managed to make it this far.

As people begin to arrive to the church, Clay sits in front row as he tries not to look at the casket that contains Justin's body. Tony enters the church as he makes his way to the front and sits next to Clay.

Tony Padilla: (sighs, Groans, Inhales Sharply) I wish there was something I could say or do. (Sighs)

Clay Jensen: Yeah. What is there? Thank you for wanting to, though. You always make things better.

Tony Padilla: (Scoffs) I just show up, man. That's all I do.

Clay Jensen: Always. More than I have for you.

Tony Padilla: No. No, we show up for each other.

Clay Jensen: (Sighs) No one gets through this life alone, man.

Tony Padilla: No. (Inhales Deeply, Exhales)

I arrived to the church with my parents, Valerie, & Bridgette who are here for support. Jessica arrives with her father & Ani. We go up to them to greet them as me & Ani walk inside with Jessica. We enter the church as we look around we see some students from Liberty in attendance. The football team are here as they're wearing Justin's jersey as a tribute. But then we also see Winston, who now knows that Alex was the one who killed Bryce.

Jessica Davis: What's he doing here?

Hannah Baker: He has some nerve.

Ani Achola: I don't know. I hope he's showing his respects.

Jessica Davis: (Breathes Shakily) I don't know if I can do this.

Ani Achola: OK, we'll just take it slow. We don't have to sit up front.