Chapter 44: I'm A Survivor

Clay Jensen has gotten desperate. So desperate that he's running away. Tony agreed to help him leave the country. Clay wakes up in Tony & Caleb's apartment inside Caleb's gym as he over hears their conversation over him.

Caleb: (Whispering) No fucking way are you driving to Mexico today. And you're definitely not taking Clay.

Tony Padilla: (Whispering) He can stay at my family's till things cool down.

Caleb: (Whispering) You didn't do anything.

Tony Padilla: (Whispering) Neither did he!

Caleb: (Whispering) Tony! You've got to start thinking of yourself, Tony. Of your future.

Tony Padilla: (Whispering) That's exactly what I'm thinking of.

Caleb: (Whispering) You let that kid drag you down. You've done it before.

Tony Padilla: (Whispering) He's my friend! And he needs me.

Caleb: (Whispering) I need you!

Tony Padilla: (Whispering) You're not the one who's wanted for a murder you didn't do.

Caleb: (Whispering) How do you know he didn't do it?

Tony & Caleb walk out of the apartment as Clay gets up from the couch and grabs his things as he sneaks out through the back. Justin, Laine, & Matt woke up to find out that Clay was gone. They meet up with Dennis as they begin to ask Justin about Clay's whereabouts.

Laine Jensen: Do you have any idea where Clay is?

Justin Foley: I have no clue. When I came home last night, he wasn't there.

Dennis Vasquez: And what time was that?

Justin Foley: Around midnight. When I woke up this morning, his bed was still made. I tried calling his phone, but then I remembered the cops took it.

Dennis Vasquez: And he gave you no indication that he intended to flee?

Justin Foley: No warning at all.

Matt Jensen: Well, can you blame him? The police just kicked down our door, for Christ's sake. He's scared shitless.

Laine Jensen: Justin, I know that you and Clay protect each other, but if there's something you're not telling us...

Justin Foley: I don't know anything. I swear. I... He clearly didn't want me to know.

Before he can skip town, Ani steps out to make her way to school when Clay appears out from the bushes.

Clay Jensen: Hey.

Ani Schola: Clay, what are you doing here?

Clay Jensen: I came to say goodbye. I'm... I'm leaving. I don't think I'm coming back.

Ani Schola: But that's crazy. They'll find you.

Clay Jensen: If I stay here, it's not gonna get any better.

Ani Schola: Think it through. There's going to be a trial. Your lawyers will find things we missed.

Clay Jensen: The cops have made up their minds.

Ani Schola: So, we'll unmake them.

Clay Jensen: (Scoffs) How will we do that?

Ani Schola: I'll... I'll be your alibi. I'll say that I was with you and that I didn't come forward before 'cause of my mum, and that you and I were together. And that we kept it a secret.