Chapter 41: Olivia Returns To Town Pt.1

2 Weeks Before Homecoming:

Hard to believe it's been a whole year since my attempt. If I learned anything this past year is that I do have people who care about me like Clay, Tony, & my parents. Speaking of, my mom is coming back to town, which I'm so excited about. I'm still bummed out that I wasn't able to go to New York this past summer to be with my mom because of summer school. Me & Justin survived summer school, and now we're both back on track to graduating on time in May. I decided to pick mom up at the airport in Oakland. Everyone is coming out as I wait for mom. And there she was. She's got a smile on her face as I run up to her and give her a huge hug.

Olivia Baker: Oh, how I've missed you.

Hannah Baker: I missed you too, mom.

I help her with her luggage as we drive back to Evergreen County.

Olivia Baker: So how is everybody doing?

Hannah Baker: Well, me & Justin did so good in summer school that we're on track to graduate. Jessica's been killing it as Student Body President. Tony has been helping out his father out at his shop. Everyone else is doing well.

Olivia Baker: And your father?

Hannah Baker: Well, as you already know, he remarried.

Olivia Baker: To Valerie.

Hannah Baker: Yeah. It was a small wedding, it was nice. Jess was my plus one.

Olivia Baker: And Clay?

Hannah Baker: Clay is doing good.

Olivia Baker: And how are you 2 doing, since the break up?

Hannah Baker: We're good. We're still friends and we're there for each other. We've been helping each other out. We're good.

Olivia Baker: You look good. Have you been working out?

Hannah Baker: Thank you for noticing. I've been hitting the gym, Caleb hooked me up.

Olivia Baker: Tony's boyfriend, right?

Hannah Baker: Yes. I've also been taking Caleb's self defense class. It's been very helpful for me.

Olivia Baker: I'm glad to hear that. What about him?

Hannah Baker: I haven't seen him since Spring Fling. I want to keep it that way.

Olivia Baker: I agree.

So why is my mom back? Here's why: My parents are finally selling our old house. The house were I tried to end my own life last year. About time. The deal has been finalized and all the buyer needs now is both my parent's signatures. I told Jessica that my mom was returning. The next week, me & mom are hanging out with Jessica so they can catch up.

Olivia Baker: I like your look. It's new.

Jessica Davis: Oh, it is?

Olivia Baker: Yeah. It's very tough. Bad-ass. You look like a warrior.

Hannah Baker: You actually do.

Olivia Baker: Hannah, do you remember whenever you wear that green army jacket everywhere?

Hannah Baker: Yeah. You used to tease me.

Olivia Baker: I'd ask her, "What war are you fighting?" Then I found out.