Chapter 64: The Return Of The Tapes

After the funeral, some of the students & jock went to Monet's as they gathered around and share their favorite moments of Justin. After a while, it got dark. Everyone had went home. Ani, Zach, Charlie, & Alex stuck around Monet's as they continue to mourn Justin. Zach & Charlie just sit on the couch while Ani & Alex each sit on a chair. Alex breaks the silence as he begins talking to Ani.

Alex Standall: Um... Can I... I just wanted to say... I think you saved my life too. More than anyone. So, thank you. And I was mean to you when you got back. I didn't even think about everything you were going through. But anyway, I'm... I'm sorry. And thank you.

Ani begins to tearing up as what Alex just said really touched her.

Ani Achola: Alex.

Alex Standall: I'm just... I'm just really happy to be alive right now.

Ani Achola: Yeah. Me too.

Zach & Charlie smile at Alex. At that moment, Winston enters Monet's as he approaches them much to their displeasure.

Winston Williams: Can we... Can we talk?

Alex Standall: Yeah.

Alex & Winston go outside to talk as Ani, Charlie, & Zach begin to get worried. They know that Alex told Winston the truth, but why hasn't Winston turned them in yet? Wintons & Alex stand in front of the window of Monet's as Ani, Charlie, & Zach watch on.

Winston Williams: Can I ask you, why'd you do it?

Alex Standall: Yeah. OK. Zach had hurt him pretty bad, he'd broken his leg, his arm. He begged me to help him up, so I did. And then he started on about how he was gonna ruin Zach's life, which he already had done. And he was just spewing all this shit. And I saw this... anger. I didn't see any soul or anything. I just didn't. And then I realized that he had ruined everyone I ever loved. And I got this... this flash of rage. Ever since my TBI, I get these flares, like, I go red. And then I pushed him off the dock.

Winston Williams: (Inhales Sharply) Are you sorry you did it?

Alex Standall: More than I can ever say.

Winston Williams: Was Jessica with you?

Alex doesn't answer as he just looks at Winston with guilt on his face. Winston chuckles lightly as he takes Alex's silence as his answer.

Winston Williams: (Sighs) Did you ever really like me?

Alex Standall: Yeah. Yes. You opened up a new world for me. You helped me figure out stuff about myself. I loved being with you.

Winston Williams: (Sighs) Yeah, me too. (Inhales shakily)

Winston takes out the copy of Bryce's tape and offers it to Alex.

Winston Williams: (Sighs Heavily) I'm not gonna do anything.

Alex takes the tape.

Winston Williams: I thought I was... because... (Inhales, Exhales Deeply) ...because I loved Monty. I knew him somehow. I swear I did. But I loved you too. And I am trying not to... but I still fucking do.

Alex Standall: OK. Thank you.

Winston Williams: Can I hug you?

Alex agreed as he gives Winston a hug. They let go of each other as Winston then leaves. Alex goes back inside and tells Zach, Ani, & Charlie that Winston turned the tape over and is dropping everything. He then texts to Clay, Hannah, Jessica, Tony, & Tyler about it. It was over. The nightmare was finally over for the teens. A couple of days have passed since Justin's funeral. Tony sells the Padilla Automotive to Caleb so he can go to college at Nevada and build a future. Tony would ask Caleb what do to if he's lonely, Caleb assures him that they're only an 8 hour drive apart, 7 with the way that Tony drives and they'll make it through. At the police station, Sheriff Diaz informs Deputy Standall that Bryce's case is officially closed and that family is the most important thing. Implying that he found out that Bryce's killer is Deputy Standall's own son, Alex. But deep down, Diaz knows that the teens have been through enough. Jessica is currently at the doctor's getting tested for HIV and she's not alone. Diego went with her and also got himself tested. Jessica is sitting in the hallway as Diego comes out with his results.