Chapter 13: Jessica's Testimony

Clay Jensen: I'm still waiting for Hannah Baker.

Orderly: Who?

Clay Jensen: Skye Miller. I'm here for Skye Miller.

Clay immediately got on his bike and rode to the hospital where Skye was taken. It just so happens that Skye was brought to the same hospital where Hannah is in. After their fight, Skye got home and cut herself again, only the cut was so deep that she was rushed to the hospital. Clay was there all night.

Orderly: She's still in recovery. They'll move her up here in a few hours.

Clay Jensen: That's what the other nurse said every hour for the past 7 hours.

Orderly: Kid, go home. Come back in the morning.

Clay Jensen: Will she be okay? Look, I just need to know.

Orderly: Go home. Come back.

Clay begins to walk away as he now see Hannah standing in a hallway. Clay gets in a elevator and leaves the hospital. He would've visit Hannah but visiting hours were over. He got on his bike and begins riding back home. As he's riding on his bike, a car passes by, makes a U-turn and runs Clay off the road along with his bike. The car drove away as Clay got a glimpse of it but didn't see who was driving. Clay was bit bruise with his bike a wreck as he walked all the way home as it's very early in the morning. Clay just throws his bike on the ground in frustration as his parents wake up and go outside to see what the commotion is all about.

Matt Jensen: Clay, it's 5 o'clock in the morning. What the hell is going on?

Clay Jensen: Skye is my girlfriend. But we haven't had sex, although we tried. She's in the hospital right now, but not because she tried to kill herself. Someone just ran me off the road on my way home. Random? Maybe. Who knows? I can't explain any of it to you because I don't understand it myself. Now, does knowing all this make this any better or worse for you?

Laine Jensen: Our agreement was that we'd talk about these things.

Clay Jensen: When the house is on fire, do you discuss the fire or get out of the goddamn house?

Clay began making his way inside the house.

Clay Jensen: Oh. I need a fucking car.

Clay got little sleep since it was early morning. Clay's mom gave him a ride to the hospital to see Skye before school starts. Clay enters Skye's room with some flower.

Clay Jensen: Hi.

Skye Miller: Hi.

Clay Jensen: I, uh, I saw your mom heading for the cafeteria, so I took my chances.

Skye Miller: I told her it wasn't your fault.

Clay Jensen: Isn't it a little bit my fault?

Skye Miller: No.

Clay Jensen: I brought you flowers. Which now seems, uh, like, a little wrong? I don't know. Maybe I should've gotten you a stuffed thing. This place has a stellar gift shop.

Skye Miller: What happened to your face?

Clay Jensen: Uh, stupid bike thing. I tried to cut through some trees in the dark. It doesn't matter. You matter.

Clay sits on the side of her hospital bed.

Clay Jensen: Are you okay?

Skye Miller: (Sighs) My mom just freaked out. It was not serious.