Chapter 45: Homecoming

2 Days Before Homecoming

Jessica has a plan for Homecoming. She want's to cancel the Homecoming game against Hillcrest to send a message to the jocks. She goes to Bolan pleading with him to cancel the game.

Jessica Davis: Principal Bolan, I was elected president on the promise of ending boys' sports at Liberty. Canceling the game will send a message.

Principal Bolan: Yes, I know your reasoning. My secretary transcribed 47 voicemails from your supporters and showed me your online petition. The fact is Homecoming is a tradition.

Jessica Davis: You just ignored everything!

Principal Bolan: Homecoming is a tradition, and is not in itself a contributor to sexual assault. And if this game gets canceled, I promise you no one will take it the way you intend.

Jessica Davis: That petition was signed by over a third of the student body.

Principal Bolan: And are all of them fully aware of your personal relationship with Bryce Walker?

Jessica Davis: I don't have... This isn't about Bryce Walker.

Principal Bolan: What if I told you I received a phone call from his mother this morning inquiring about re-enrolling him for the spring semester?

Jessica Davis: What? You're letting him come back?

Principal Bolan: We've only just received the request, but...

Jessica Davis: He raped me. He raped Hannah Baker and it drove her to a suicide attempt. And if he returns...

Principal Bolan: We will take every measure to ensure both your safety.

Jessica Davis: What about the safety of every other girl at Liberty?

Principal Bolan: It is our utmost concern.

Jessica Davis: No, it isn't. If it was, you would've canceled boys' sports years ago.

While Jessica was talking to Bolan about canceling the Homecoming game, we're just waiting as I let everyone know that I'm gonna be in Oakland.

Hannah Baker: Even if the game was still gonna happen, I'm driving my mom to Oakland to the airport.

Ani Achola: You mother really is a nice person.

Ani got a chance to meet my mom the other day at Monet's when we had hot chocolate together.

Hannah Baker: Yeah, she is. I'm sure gonna miss her. I can't wait to go to New York after we graduate.

Ani Achola: Have you looked at any of the schools in New York?

Jessica Davis: He ignored everything.

Jessica entered the cave and she is pissed off.

Hannah Baker: Seriously?

Casey Ford: Such bullshit.

Jessica Davis: No more wasting our time. We need to do something huge.

Casey Ford: Yeah, we do.

Jessica Davis: The Homecoming game is in 2 days. And we need to get in there and get our message out.

Ani Achola: Like, posters at the game?

Jessica Davis: Fuck posters!

Ani Achola: Okay.

Jessica Davis: Bigger than that. We need to show everyone that we are done being silent victims. That they're going to face our anger whether they want to or not.