Chapter 26: The Aftermath Of The Trial

Friday, April 19

Well, here I am. Back in hell, other wise known as Liberty High. Got to admit, it was weird being back. There was no one around because they're in class. Me & my parents enter the school's office to meet with Principal Bolan. We enter his office, and boy did it feel awkward.

Principal Bolan: First off, I would just like to say thank god you're alive and well, Hannah. On the behalf of the entire school, I would like to apologize for everything that you have experience here at Liberty.

Hannah Baker: Thank you, Principal Bolan. That's very kind.

Principal Bolan: And to you Mr. & Mrs. Baker, no hard feelings.

Olivia Baker: Oh, there are hard feelings.

Principal Bolan: I am sorry for how the trial turned out.

Olivia Baker: Good to know.

Principal Bolan: Got to say, we are surprised that you want to come back, Hannah. Why do you want to come back?

Hannah Baker: Because my friends go here. At least I know that I won't be alone.

Principal Bolan: Well, as for Bryce Walker.. you won't have to worry about him. He's transferring to Hillcrest Academy, which is a all boys private school. Today will be his last day at Liberty. Although, he will be attending Spring Fling tomorrow. We will make sure that no one will bother you. We will do everything in our power to keep you safe.

Hannah Baker: Thank you for you honesty, Principal Bolan.

We talked for a little while, but in the end I am once again a Liberty student. On our way out, I heard someone calling out my name.

Tyler Down: Hannah?

It was Tyler Down. My god, he looks different.

Hannah Baker: Tyler? Is that you?

Tyler Down: Yeah.

I haven't seen Tyler in months, since my attempt.

Hannah Baker: Mom, dad, do you mind if I have a minute with Tyler?

Andy Baker: Sure.

Olivia Baker: We'll wait for you outside.

Mom and dad go outside while I talk to Tyler.

Hannah Baker: I heard that you had to go away because of what you did to the baseball field.

Tyler Down: Yeah, they sent me to a diversion program. I came back yesterday.

Hannah Baker: Diversion program? Is that even a thing?

Tyler Down: Apparently. I heard that you woke up before I left. I just want you to know that... I'm very sorry for what I did to you.

Hannah Baker: Tyler... I know what you said on the stand. That I was sexting. I wasn't. I was just was taking selfies, I wasn't gonna send it to anyone.

Tyler Down: Shit. I'm sorry about that, too.

Hannah Baker: I forgive you, Tyler. I forgive you for stalking me, taking pictures of me, everything. Just, take care of yourself. I heard that the jocks are blaming you for the season getting canceled.

Tyler Down: I'm aware. I'll take of myself. Why are you here?

Hannah Baker: I'm coming back. I start on Monday.