Chapter 19: Porter's Testimony

Clay wakes up in the morning to see that Justin is once again gone and this time he doesn't care. Clay is done with everything. Hannah, her trial, The Clubhouse, it's over for him. It took a toll for Clay's family as they got into a argument last night. Clay goes downstairs and into the kitchen. Matt was sitting down grading papers on the kitchen table.

Matt Jensen: No Justin this morning? He's usually the first one up.

Clay Jensen: He's... not our problem anymore.

Matt Jensen: What does that mean, he's not our problem?

Clay Jensen: It means he's gone. He took off.

Matt Jensen: Did you try calling him?

Clay Jensen: He doesn't have a phone.

Matt Jensen: Your mother gave him one on the family plan.

Clay Jensen: (Scoffs) Of course she did.

Matt Jensen: Well, we should call him. I don't know his number. I imagine the phone company will have it.

Clay Jensen: Jesus, why do you care? He had a bed, he had food, he had new clothes, and a new phone, apparently, and he didn't want any of it. So why don't we just let him go?

Matt Jensen: Clay, what's this about? He's scheduled to testify on Monday, and that was so important to you, you smuggled him in here.

Clay Jensen: Where's Mom?

Matt Jensen: Your mother and I had a... disagreement last night.

Clay Jensen: Yeah, I was there.

Matt Jensen: And she's staying with her sister for a few days.

Clay Jensen: Why?

Matt Jensen: Oh, just to give us both time to figure things out. The past few weeks have been stressful around here for all of us.

Clay Jensen: Let's move. Start over somewhere, just you and me.

Matt Jensen: Clay, it's... It's not permanent. Your mom and I are just cooling off.

Clay Jensen: I don't care. I don't... ever wanna go to that school again. Look, everybody hates me there. Someone online called me a murderer because I was on Hannah's tapes.

Matt Jensen: Why do you read what people say online?

Clay's phone buzzes as he just ignores it.

Clay Jensen: Let's move. Anywhere.

Matt Jensen: Clay. This is our home. All right? This is our family. We've made a bit of a mess. But nothing's broken we can't fix.

Clay Jensen: Everything's broken. And I don't think any of it can be fixed.

Bryce invited Chlöe over for breakfast but she's a no-show. Barry & Nora talk about the tape where Clay confronted Bryce. Nora is suspicious of Bryce but Barry believes that his own son was set up. Mr. Walker tells Bryce that a woman who loves him should be respected.At Monet's, Tony is panicking about his testimony tomorrow. Caleb wants to talk to Tony about Lucas, the man that Tony beat up. Tony tells him that he isn't going to be right until he testifies. Caleb asks him out on a date and Tony agrees. Tyler & Mackenzie go to the movies together. They end up making out and Tyler has an orgasm and prematurely ejaculates. Embarrassed, he leaves Mackenzie at the movie theater alone. Meanwhile, Justin searches through Seth's house for money. His mom notices that he shot up and tells him that she never wanted this life for him. He tries to convince her to leave with him but she says she can't. Justin promises that he'll stay this time. At school, Clay is walking in the hallway as Bryce comes up to him and put an arm around him as they continue walking.