Chapter 48: SRO

It's been a whole month since Bryce Walker & Montgomery de la Cruz have died. The murder charges on Clay have since been dropped and Monty was charged with Bryce's murder to go along with Tyler's assault. Except, Monty didn't do it. Alex did. We all framed Monty just to save not only Alex, but Clay & Jessica as well. Jessica witnessed Alex pushing Bryce off the pier and everyone thought Clay did it because he hated Bryce. Now we're all accessory to murder because we covered it up for Alex. I hated that we had to do that. What was even worse was the impact it had on Monty's family. Like the fact that I did not know that he has a sister and she goes to Liberty, which I also didn't know. Her name is Estella. After Monty's death, she took time off from school to grief her brother. Plus, maybe it was best she took time off because everyone has been taking about Monty. Clay & Ani are now dating. Clay forgave her for fucking Bryce but I haven't. Now all I have to is tolerate her presence whenever she with us. Jessica may not have forgiven Ani, but they still hang out. Jessica told me that I may not have to forgive her, but she's still our friend. She's not my friend, not anymore. At least she's leaving Evergreen County. Oh, did I forget to mention that before? Yeah, she's moving to Oakland with her mother now that Harrison Chatham passed away. Talk about tragedy for Nora Walker. First she lost her son, then she loses her father on Thanksgiving. It sucks. With Bryce's grandfather now gone, Ani's mom has already picked up a new patient in Oakland. According to Jessica, Ani hasn't told Clay yet. That's gonna be quite a conversation. As for everyone else, not everyone is doing fine. Zach has been dealing with Bryce's death real hard. He's still blaming himself for it. He feels like he failed Alex because by beating up Bryce, it gave Alex the chance to do it. He's been drinking, a lot. Tony is still trying to get his family back in the country, the legal way. We've all gotten real close to Charlie St. George. Turns out, he's really a nice guy once you get to know him. He also knows about Spring Fling, Tyler decided to tell him. As for Justin, he decided to go to rehab. His addiction was worse after Bryce's death. Hopefully he's doing better now. As for the Bryce that's in my head... I haven't seen him since Thanksgiving. I told Dr. Ellman about it and he thinks that I might've gotten over him now that he's gone. After listening to that tape that he made, maybe Dr. Ellman is right.

(Phone Vibrating)

My phone is vibrates as I pick it up and answer it.

Hannah Baker: Hello.

Justin Foley: Hannah.

Hannah Baker: Justin?

Justin Foley: Get dressed, we're coming to pick you up.

Hannah Baker: Pick me up? Are you out of rehab?

Justin Foley: Monty's alive.

What? How's this possible? We were told that he was killed in jail. Justin & Clay came to pick me up and we went to Evergreen County Jail to see if it's true. The 3 of us are the visitor's area and... Oh, my god! It's true. Monty is alive. A guard brings him to the visitor's area in chains as he sits with us.

Monty de la Cruz: What? What the fuck do you want?

Clay Jensen: Monty, we're sorry. We didn't think this would happen.

Hannah Baker: We thought... we thought you were dead.

Clay Jensen: We didn't think that...

Monty de la Cruz: You wanted to clear your name? So you set me up for murder?

Justin Foley: We were trying to protect someone else. We thought you were gone.