Chapter 37: The Funeral

Today is Bryce Walker's funeral. Tony Padilla was brought in for questioning at the police station last night. Tony waited all night into morning as Deputy Standall begins to ask him about Bryce Walker.

Bill Standall: So, we're just trying to understand your relationship with Bryce.

Tony Padilla: Well, that's easy, 'cause there wasn't one.

Bill Standall: Did you ever have any contact with him?

Tony Padilla: No.

Bill Standall: Really? So, you went to the same school, and knew some of the same people, but your paths never crossed?

Tony Padilla: Obviously, our paths crossed in the halls, but he wasn't my friend.

Bill Standall: I don't imagine he would be, after what he did to your friends. And what he got away with. But that doesn't mean you didn't have contact. It's his funeral today.

Tony Padilla: So it is, yeah.

Bill Standall: Still, it's... sad... isn't it? Any young life taken like that, that's sad, don't you think?

Tony Padilla: It isn't the greatest sadness of my life, so... no.

Bryce's funeral is today. I'm not going. Why would I? Here's what I do know: Clay, Justin, & Zach are going. Justin & Zach had been friends with Bryce since they were kids. I can imagine what it would feel like if someone that I knew turned out to be a complete different person and then suddenly dies. If Lindsay Patterson or Alicia Morris suddenly just died, I too would be sad. But why is Clay going? He & his parents are going with Justin, for moral support. The only thing I'm worried about is Casey's protest. Jessica talked to them but didn't listened to her. I hope this doesn't get ugly.

Police officers are attending the funeral knowing that H.O. were going to protest the funeral, but they were nowhere to be seen. Ani arrives to the church with her mother, Nora Walker, & Harrison Chatham. Nora looks around the church being suspicious that Bryce's killer might be in attendance. Nora was surprised to see Clay arriving to her son's funeral, despite the fact that he hated Bryce. The Liberty football team arrive with their jersey's on in honor of their fallen former teammate as none of Hillcrest's player are attending. Zach has been asked to give a eulogy as he sits between his mother & Chlöe Rice as he begins to get nervous.

Zach Dempsey: I don't think I can do this.

Mrs. Dempsey: You can. You have to.

Chlöe Rice: It's okay to love the things about him you loved. You can tell whatever truth that you want to.

Zach smiles at Chlöe as the Jensens & Justin make their way inside the church...

Laine Jensen: How you holding up, Justin?

Justin Foley: Yeah, I'm good. Good. Thank you guys for coming with me.

Laine Jensen: Of course.

Justin Foley: I'm going to go say hey to the guys.

Clay Jensen: Yeah, I got a thing real quick.

Justin goes to meet with the football team while Clay heads for the back, much to his parents confusion. Justin sits next Charlie St. George & Monty. Clay texts Ani to meet him in the back as they both go up to the stairs to meet.

Ani Achola: I told you not to even look at me today, let alone text. I'm stuck between Mrs. Walker & my mum.

Clay Jensen: We have to talk about the Mustang.