Chapter 21: Bryce & Chlöe

It was the day that everyone was waiting for. Today is the day the Bryce Walker testifies. The outside of the courthouse is flooded with reporters & supporters of Hannah. In the hallway, Nora & Barry Walker are fussing over Bryce as he gets ready to testify. Bryce is wearing a pair of glasses to make him look empathetic. Meanwhile, Jessica meets with Clay & Justin at Monet's as they show her the polaroids of Bryce & Chlöe.

Jessica Davis: If she doesn't know this happened to her, she's gonna be destroyed. And once she does, I'm not gonna be the one who tells her that the whole world needs to know, too. They're gonna have to take down Bryce without her.

Clay Jensen: He's just going to lie.

Jessica Davis: Maybe. But you go up there thinking you'll know what to say, and then it ends up going another way completely, you know?

Clay Jensen: Yeah, which is how I know we can't count on them to get Bryce. Look, if we don't stop this, there will be more Chlöes... and Bryces...

Clay takes out the polaroid of Nina Jones.

Clay Jensen: And Ninas.

Jessica Davis: Oh, my God.

Clay Jensen: This is proof, Jessica. Proof of who Bryce is, who they all are. Proof that you're not alone.

Jessica Davis: And that makes it easier? What, like we're some part of a fucking club? Jesus, you guys...

Jessica grabs the polaroids and starts making her way out

Clay Jensen: Wait, we... That might be evidence.

Jessica Davis: Well, it doesn't belong to you.

Jessica walks out of Monet's as Clay & Justin watch on. At the Bakers store, Alex helps out Olivia clean up the store.

Alex Standall: Aren't you pissed off?

Olivia Baker: I've made a lot of enemies in this town.

Alex Standall: It's Bryce.

Olivia Baker: You think so?

Alex Standall: Yes.

Olivia Baker: No, he wouldn't get his hands dirty with this.

Alex Standall: But who else would it be?

Olivia Baker: Bryce has money. And boys like him, men like him, they have protectors and enablers and people with lots to lose if they're found out. I asked the police to guard Hannah in case they go after her.

Alex Standall: Can I come to court with you today?

Olivia Baker: Okay.

Justin left Monet's but Clay stayed behind as he takes out the polaroid of Hannah from The Clubhouse. Clay looks at the picture and wonders why & how she was at The Clubhouse.

Clay Jensen: Why are you in this picture?

Hannah Baker: I'm sure I can't tell you anything worse than what you're imagining.

Clay Jensen: I don't know. So far, things have been worse than I ever would've imagined.

Hannah Baker: What do you want me to say, Clay? Would you believe nothing happened?

Clay Jensen: (Stammers) How did you end up in the Clubhouse? I mean, whose jacket is it?

Hannah Baker: You know I dated Justin.