Chapter 38: There Are A Number Of Problems With Clay Jensen

The police have brought in both Clay & Justin down to the station. Sheriff Diaz is interrogating Clay in one room while another officer is interrogating Justin in another. They were both shown the security footage of Clay with the gun. Clay doesn't know what to do.

Sheriff Diaz: Clay, a minute ago you told me you just went over there to talk to him.

Clay Jensen: I mean, I did.

Sheriff Diaz: That's just talking?

Clay Jensen: It's not what it looks like.

Sheriff Diaz: What do you think it looks like?

At the same time, Justin is being questioned in another room.

Justin Foley: I talked him down and we walked away.

Police Officer: What would've happened if you hadn't been there to talk him down?

Justin Foley: I don't think anything. I mean, Clay wasn't going to... If anything, he would've hurt himself. I was more worried about him than Bryce.

Sheriff Diaz: Did you go over there with the intention of killing Bryce?

Clay Jensen: No, I was just... angry.

Sheriff Diaz: About what?

Justin Foley: It was the day we found out that Bryce was going to get away with... everything.

Police Officer: But he didn't get away with everything.

Justin Foley: Yeah... he did.

Sheriff Diaz: So, you were trying to avenge Hannah Baker by killing her rapist?

Clay Jensen: No! If you look, I didn't do anything.

Sheriff Diaz: Back then. Someone stopped you. Where'd you get the gun?

Clay Jensen: (Stammering) From... this guy I found on the internet. I never learned his name.

Sheriff Diaz: Did you bring it to Bryce's a couple weeks ago when you threatened to kill him then?

Clay Jensen: No.

Sheriff Diaz: Then where is the gun?

Police Officer: What happened to the gun?

Clay Jensen: Justin got rid of it that night. He threw it in a dumpster downtown somewhere.

Justin Foley: I threw it out, behind some restaurant downtown. I really didn't want Clay to... try and hurt himself.

Police Officer: Or try to hurt Bryce again?

Clay Jensen: No. That night was the end of it.

Sheriff Diaz: It wasn't really, was it? It wasn't the last time you confronted Bryce.

At the Chatham house, Nora had also receive a copy of the security footage as she show it Ani who couldn't believe what she is seeing.

Nora Walker: Clay hadn't told you about this?

Ani Achola: No.

Nora Walker: Did you know Clay had a gun? Have you ever seen him be this volatile?

Ani Achola: No.

Nora Walker: How well do you know Clay?

Ani Achola: Not all that well.

Nora Walker: Well, he picks you up for school. Often.

Ani Achola: We're partners... in robotics. We're not really close friends.