Chapter 32: Student Body President Jessica Davis

June 2018

It's election day at Liberty. And it's also graduation week. Courtney, Ryan, & Scott Reed are graduating while Sheri has to go to summer school in order for her to graduate. So I guess me & Justin won't be alone. We've all gathered in the gym for the results.

Jessica Davis: I'm nervous.

Hannah Baker: Don't be, you've got this. Right guys?

Alex Standall: After your speech and the ovation you got, you're winning.

Clay Jensen: We're with you, Jess.

First they announce the winners for the other positions, like Vice President. Then it was time to announce the victor for Student Body President.

Courtney Crimsen: Finally, as your outgoing Student Body President, it is my distinct honor to announce next year's president-elect... Jessica Davis!

YES! She won! Jessica Davis has been elected Student Body President!

Jessica Davis: I can't believe I won!

Hannah Baker: What are you waiting for, go up there!

Jessica gets up from the the bleachers and approaches the mic and also receives a hug from Courtney.

Jessica Davis: Thank you. Uh... thank you. Uh... I know my speech was... Well, people had different opinions on my speech.

Boy Jocks: Boo.

Of course Monty and his asshole friends would boo her.

Jessica Davis: And yeah, the administration did talk to me about it, but the thing they were mostly upset about was the profanity. I was like, "Seriously? That's what you heard?" Fuck that! I'm pissed off. I'm gonna be pissed off until things actually change. Until the predators and the rapists are gone for good.

Casey Ford: Fuck rapists! Fuck Bryce Walker!

Whoa! I don't know who that girl is but she's got moxie.

Jessica Davis: Never again.

I was so proud of Jessica. She was so fierce.

After assembly was over, Hannah and some of the female students go up to congratulate Jessica on her victory as Clay looks on. Ani comes up to Clay.

Ani Achola: I think she's awesome... and sort of terrifying.

Clay Jensen: You're right.

Ani Achola: Um... Look, the other day, you tried to warn me about Bryce. I thought I knew the whole story, but... when that girl shouted Bryce's name just now...

Clay Jensen: Jessica & Hannah never told you?

It took a while until they finally got to know Ani well enough that they finally confide in her to tell her what happened to them. They told her what happened to them but they never said who their rapist was. They didn't go into full detail and they never brought up the tapes or the trial.

Ani Achola: They never said who it was.

Clay Jensen: And you never put it together?

Ani Achola: I didn't think it was 2 girls at Liberty. I didn't know the whole history.

Clay Jensen: Yeah, there's a whole history.

Ani Achola: I'm sorry... that I shut you down.