Chapter 50: The Mysterious Caller

Clay Jensen: Hello?

Distorted Voice: 1 Ring. You need to pick up on 1 ring.

Clay Jensen: Or what? How do you have this number?

Distorted Voice: You'll find out. I'll see you in school.

How many of you remember the Oh My Dollar Valentines? Those were fun, weren't they? You fill out a survey, and for just a buck, you get the name and number of your 1 true soul mate. And, hey, all proceeds go to a worthy cause: cheer camp. The Dollar Valentine survey was a two-parter: Describe yourself, and describe what you're looking for in someone else. And, as I filled mine out, I realized I was actually describing a certain someone. You'd think if my answers all described 1 person... that person would at least appear in my Top 5. But no. I didn't match up to the 1 person who might really have been right. Clay. Maybe it wasn't my fault. Maybe none of us can say who we truly are. Thank god Jessica got rid of Dollar Valentine. And now there's the Valentine's Day Dance that they're calling "Love is Love". I'm skipping it. Why? Well, A: The last 2 dances I've been were a complete nightmare, especially the last one I went to. I'm referring to the Winter Formal sophomore year & Spring Fling last year. Which brings us to today, the day before Valentine's Day. A day of love. We arrive to school and see decorations all over the school that would make Courtney Crimsen so proud. Everything looked great, except for 1 thing. Security cameras. That's right, they put cameras everywhere. Where were those these past 2 years. As we pass through the metal detectors, Clay is freaking out about the cameras.

Clay Jensen: What the fuck with all the cameras? They're everywhere. Look.

Justin Foley: It's probably just the vandalism, right?

Hannah Baker: After all the bullshit this school put me through and what happened to Tyler and with The Clubhouse, they waited till someone vandalized the school?

Clay Jensen: They didn't put any up after the baseball field, that was worse.

Hannah Baker: Be glad that they didn't have any back then, otherwise you would've gotten in troubled with Tyler & Cyrus.

Clay Jensen: They still got in trouble because Tyler posted pictures of them doing it. I got out of there because that's when we found The Clubhouse.

Hannah Baker: Again, be glad that you didn't get caught.

Justin Foley: Dude, most high schools have security cameras now.

Clay Jensen: This is different. Something's up. They know something.

Hannah Baker: Clay, you need to relax.

Justin Foley: Dude, you have been spiraling for weeks. You gotta stop.

Clay Jensen: No, you've been ignoring shit in your little "I'm happy, I'm healthy" bubble, but shit is wrong.

Hannah Baker: Clay!

Clay's phone starts vibrating.

Justin Foley: This is the third time this morning. Gonna answer?

Clay Jensen: It's just a robocall.

Hannah Baker: Why don't you block the num...

Clay Jensen: They're calling from different numbers.

Justin Foley: Why is a robocall freaking you out?

Clay Jensen: I gotta get to class.

Clay just ignores us and walks away.