Chapter 35: Tyler's Gun

I didn't get enough sleep last night. Tyler keeping a gun and Bryce showing up dead is one hell of a coincidence. Knowing that brought back nightmares from Spring Fling. In my nightmare, it was the same when he pointed the gun at both me & Clay, only this time he pulls the trigger. I then wake up realizing that it was all a nightmare. I'm having breakfast with dad, Valerie, & Bridgette.

Valerie: Hannah. Hannah!

I snap out of my concentration.

Hannah Baker: Sorry. What were you saying?

Andy Baker: We were asking how you're doing, now that Bryce is...

My dad & Valerie can't even say dead because Bridgette is sitting with us.

Hannah Baker: I'm still processing it.

Valerie takes out her phone and begins scrolling.

Valerie: My god.

Andy Baker: What is it?

Valerie: Bridgette, why don't you get ready for school.

Bridgette: Okay.

Bridgette takes her bowl and puts it in the sink and then runs off to our room.

Hannah Baker: Sending her and not me to our room can only mean something bad.

Valerie: I was reading the Evergreen County Register.

Hannah Baker: The same Evergreen County Register that called me a vindictive & jealous suicidal girl during my trial?

Andy Baker: Hannah.

Hannah Baker: What? They did. I've read the columns about my trial.

Valerie: They're saying that Bryce Walker was shot.

Hannah Baker: What?

Okay, now I'm freaking out! First they find Bryce's dead body, Tyler kept a gun and decides to get rid of it because he doesn't need it anymore, & now the Register is saying that Bryce was shot?

Andy Baker: He was shot?

Valerie: Who would do something like that?

Andy Baker: Well, he did make a lot of enemies.

Valerie: Do you think it had something to do with what happened at the Homecoming game?

Andy Baker: It was the last time anyone saw him alive. Good thing Hannah wasn't there. Right, honey? Hannah?

I wasn't paying attention. I was still procession that maybe Tyler was the one who killed Bryce. If it was Tyler who shot Bryce, then everything we did to help out would've been for nothing.

Hannah Baker: I need to get ready for school.

Clay steps outside his house to call Tyler when he spot a police squad car. Clay tries calling Tyler but it takes him to voice mail.

Clay Jensen: Tyler. Clay again. Um, I'm not sure if you got my messages last night, just... making sure you know I'm picking you up today and we can take care of everything. Uh... I'll see you soon.

Back inside the Jensen house, Matt & Laine are in the kitchen preparing for a visit from the social worker to finalize Justin's adoption.

Laine Jensen: Do the flowers make it seem like we're trying too hard?