Chapter 52: The Legend of Burnham Woods

Charlie St. George: I was the young guy. The new kid. But, uh, this past year, I feel like I... truly became a friend. Like I... I found a whole new group of friends, and we went through a lot together. And we'll get through this.

3 Months Earlier

So here's what happened at the Love Is Love dance, Diego and the football team pulled a sick prank on Clay. Fucking Assholes. They've been calling Clay on his phone. Whenever Clay's phone rang, it said that it was Monty calling. Which explains why Clay has been paranoid at school, they even made Clay pick a fight with Zach which no one saw. During the dance, they lured Clay into the boys locker room where he got covered with fake blood in the showers and finds the knife. Then he went into the football field where he found a dummy there and freaked out about on it. That's when the football team revealed themselves and it was caught on camera. Diego was the only one who was identified in the footage from the football field. And because of that and the fact that Clay brought the knife to the dance, both he & Diego were suspended for 2 weeks. This was serious. That was 2 weeks ago. The school's new Dean of Discipline, Dean Hansen Foundry, who started after winter break, and the student board are now going to determine if both Clay & Diego will be allowed to go to the senior camping trip. Clay & Diego are now back from suspension and are in the library to determine their fate.

Clay Jensen: I did a terrible thing. I know I hurt people. I'd give anything to take it back. I just...

Jessica Davis: Bringing a deadly weapon on campus is usually an automatic expulsion.

Clay Jensen: It wasn't even a real knife.

Jessica Davis: Could it really have stabbed someone? Did you really bring it into the dance?

Charlie St. George: Look, I mean, they both admitted it was a prank. Clay's already taken responsibility, so...

Jessica Davis: Because it's possible it was used in self-defense, and because you both have already served your 2 week suspensions, the only outstanding question is, will you be allowed to attend the senior camping trip?

Dean Foundry: If there aren't any further statements, the board should just deliberate and vote. OK?

Dean Foundry and the school board go to another room to vote on if whether both Clay & Diego will be allowed to go the the senior camping trip.

Diego Torres: If you make me miss the senior camping trip, I'll keep fucking with you until the end of time.

Clay Jensen: This is on you, asshole. I took the blame for the knife, what more can I do?

Diego Torres: You brought the knife onto the field.

Clay Jensen: You left it for me.

Diego Torres: So you say. Too bad there are no security cameras in the boys' showers, huh?

Clay Jensen: They have them on the field.

Diego Torres: Yeah, where you were acting like a crazy motherfucker the whole night and crying over a dummy. Innocent people don't act like that.

Clay Jensen: You set me up. You've been fucking with me this whole time: breaking into my house, the graffiti.

Diego Torres: Cops had you cold. Suddenly they let you go, and it's all on Monty, and he's not around to defend himself? How'd that work, hmm?

They hear the door open as Dean Foundry and the student board return with the verdict.

Clay Jensen: This is over. OK?