Chapter 42: Olivia Returns To Town Pt.2

My mother is back in town, but she didn't call me or came to see me. Why didn't she let me know? Whatever the reason for not letting me know that she's back, we both got called in to the police station. Me & mom both arrived at the same time.

Hannah Baker: Mom!

Olivia Baker: Hannah.

I run to my mom and I hug her.

Hannah Baker: Why didn't you call?

We let go of each other.

Olivia Baker: I didn't want you to worry. Why are you here?

Hannah Baker: Alex's dad called me last night. They have more questions for me.

Olivia Baker: They already questioned you?

Hannah Baker: Yeah. But they think Clay did it.

Olivia Baker: Why would they think that?

Hannah Baker: Because they have security footage of Clay pointing a gun at Bryce, the night I woke up.

Olivia Baker: Clay had a gun?

Hannah Baker: Yeah. I don't know where he got it from, but Justin got rid of it. He talked Clay out of it that night.

Olivia Baker: I've been trying to get a hold of him when I was here 2 weeks ago, but he never answered any of my calls. I finally got a hold of him last night when I heard that he's a person of interest. I'm meeting with him after school.

Hannah Baker: I'll come with.

Olivia Baker: Thanks, but me & Clay need to have a private conversation. I hope you understand.

Hannah Baker: Yeah. I get it.

Both Hannah & Olivia enter the police station as they were taken to separates rooms. Sheriff Diaz is questioning Olivia.

Sheriff Diaz: Thank you very much for coming back to town. It's very kind of you.

Olivia Baker: I don't think kindness had anything to do with it. I believe I was instructed.

Sheriff Diaz: Yes, well, we just have a few more questions. Some new information has come our way since we last spoke, and... we'd just like to clarify a few things.

Olivia Baker: All right.

Sheriff Diaz: All right. Now, we last spoke on November 7th. That's the day after Bryce Walker's body was found.

Olivia Baker: Yes, I remember.

Sheriff Diaz: You told us you were in town for the closing of your house.

Olivia Baker: That's correct.

Sheriff Diaz: But we checked the courthouse records. Your house closed on the 31st. But you stayed in town into the next week. Over that weekend, Bryce went missing.

Olivia Baker: I'm sorry, is there a question you'd like to ask, Sheriff?

Sheriff Diaz: Why lie to us about these dates?

Olivia Baker: I didn't. I came in to close on the house and I stayed to deal with furniture and my storage unit.

Sheriff Diaz: Did you happen to see anyone?

Olivia Baker: Like who?

Sheriff Diaz: Who did you see?

Olivia Baker: Well, I saw my daughter, Hannah. I saw my ex-husband more than I'd like to. Ah, I saw some friends.