Chapter 46: Let The Dead Bury The Dead

Montgomery de la Cruz has been arrested for Tyler's assault in front of his parents & sister and he is also suspected for Bryce's murder because Charlie St. George back up Tyler's story by telling the police that Bryce confronted him before the Homecoming game and he witness Monty admitted it to Bryce. Monty is locked up in Evergreen County Jail as his father goes to pay him a visit.

Mr. de la Cruz: Your mother, she hasn't stopped crying since they picked you up.

Monty de la Cruz: Sorry.

Mr. de la Cruz: I bust my ass for this family, and this is what you do? Answer me!

Monty de la Cruz: What? What answer do you want?

Mr. de la Cruz: Is it true? What they're saying?

Monty de la Cruz: What are they saying?

Mr. de la Cruz: You damn well know. They're saying you assaulted a kid. That you sexually assaulted a kid. A boy. That true?

Monty de la Cruz: No, it wasn't sexual assault. I was messing with him.

Mr. de la Cruz: You were messing with him? The way they said? Why would you do that shit? To a boy? You some kind of faggot?

Monty de la Cruz: What if I was, Dad? What if I was?

Mr. de la Cruz: You're going to prison. You know what they do to guys like you in there?

Monty de la Cruz: What do they do? Describe it.

Mr. de la Cruz: You're gonna get beat to shit. At the minimum. They will beat you down.

Monty de la Cruz: Yeah, well at least none of them will be my dad.

Mr. de la Cruz: You a faggot?

Monty de la Cruz: Sure.

Monty's father gets up from his seat and spits on Monty's face in disgrace. The guard takes Monty back to his cell as he is passing by other inmates, they already know what he did. Clay was released from jail on bail but he will be tracked by the police as he is forced to wear a ankle GPS by order of the court.

Justin Foley: You got one on me, Jensen. I've never had one of those.

Clay Jensen: Yeah, I'm breaking your records all the time.

Lainie Jensen: It's brutal, but it's better than a jail cell. We had to agree to it to get the prosecutor into court this morning and get you RoR'd.

Clay Jensen: I'm not complaining.

Justin Foley: So, what? He can't leave the outhouse?

Lainie Jensen: He's not on house arrest. It's a GPS unit. So, they can track him to school, the library, wherever he's cleared to go.

Clay Jensen: Wait, school?

Lainie Jensen: You have a meeting with the new counselor. She'll do an evaluation and tell the school district if you're okay to come back.

Clay Jensen: Like, to see if I'm still homicidal?

Lainie Jensen: Enough with that talk. Okay? Your state of mind counts. Now, but especially at trial.

Justin Foley: What if it doesn't even go to trial? I mean, what if they come up with new evidence or a new... a new witness?

Lainie Jensen: Is that why you went to see Seth Massey the other night?

Justin Foley: I... Uh... (Stammering) I thought he could help.

Laine Jensen: Unlikely. He was arrested on parole violations. He's going away for a long time.