Chapter 18: The Tapes Are Out

It was a media blitzkrieg as everyone in Evergreen County were shocked to see that the infamous Hannah Baker tapes were posted online the night before anonymously. Andy & Olivia are in the courthouse with Dennis as they prepare to testify. Jackie enters the room...

Jackie: Well, there's lots of chatter online about Hannah's tapes. People are worried it's going to affect the trial.

Dennis Vasquez: I'm not concerned. It still doesn't serve the school to admit them into evidence any more than it does us.

Olivia Baker: But couldn't it work in our favor? To have Hannah's story out there in her own words?

Andy Baker: Or will it bias the jury against us?

Olivia Baker: How? How could it do that? To hear what happened to her.

Andy Baker: It's a complicated story, Liv.

As the Bakers prepare for their testimony, Clay wakes to his phone buzzing as he picks it up and see angry texts from Alex, Sheri, & Tony. Justin enters the room as he gets ready for his official return to Liberty.

Justin Foley: Ho. Today is gonna suck.

Clay Jensen: What, you mean, because of...?

Justin Foley: It's like the first day of school or something. But, like, in some weird, alternate universe where, like, everyone's been talking about me for months.

Clay Jensen: Uh, yeah, that's surreal.

Clay & Justin arrive to Liberty as every student just look at them because they've either already listened to the tapes or are currently listening to them.

Justin Foley: Listen, this is weird, right?

Clay Jensen: Um... Yeah.

They make their way inside the school as all eyes are still on them.

Justin Foley: This is about me, isn't it?

Clay Jensen: Yeah, must be.

Student: Can't believe he'd show up here.

As the students speak among themselves, Hannah appears next to Clay.

Hannah Baker: Helmet. Hate to say I told you so, but... Or did we just not think this part through? I'm curious, what happens to Jessica now? Or Alex, or Justin, or you?

Sheri Holland: Clay, did you not get any of my texts?

Sheri approaches them in the hallway.

Clay Jensen: (Stammering) My ringer must be off.

Clay's phone begins to ring as he was caught in a lie. Clay takes out his phone and sees that Skye is calling him.

Clay Jensen: Skye? Hey, hello?

Clay steps away as he takes the call.

Sheri Holland: Hey, Justin. I'd say welcome back, but kind of shitty timing.

Justin Foley: What do you mean?

Sheri Holland: I mean about the tapes.

Justin Foley: What about the tapes?

Sheri Holland: Did Clay not tell you? Maybe he doesn't even know.

Justin Foley: Know about what?

Sheri Holland: They're out. Someone posted them online. Everyone listened all last night.

Justin Foley: What?