Chapter 43: What Does Charlie Know?

I couldn't get in touch with Clay or Justin last night because the cops were searching their house. They were probably there all night. I've been trying to call Clay all morning, but I'm sure the cops have his phone. He's screwed. And probably my mom as well. She's already on her way back to New York. I would call Clay on his house phone but I don't have their number. I guess I'm gonna have to wait til we see each other at school today. I can't imagine what's going on with the Jensens right now.

Justin Foley: They took both our laptops. Clay's backpack.

Clay Jensen: And my phone.

Lainie Jensen: And what, if anything, will they find on your phone?

Clay Jensen: A text to... to Bryce.

Lainie Jensen: Saying?

Clay Jensen: Saying... saying I wanna kill him. It was after Homecoming and everything, and I came home and I was sitting here and I was mad, that's all. It was just words. And... I deleted them, but...

Lainie Jensen: I will... talk to Dennis this morning, and we will all sit down with him after school. And you talk to no one about those texts. Or anything to do with the case. Either of you.

Matt Jensen: Clay, did Bryce do something to you? Did he... threaten you? Did he say something to you on the field that night?

Clay Jensen: No.

Matt Jensen: Then why the text?

Word has spread about the raid at the Jensen's house. Tony begins to worry that the cops might hit him next after he went to Monet's and the café was also hit by search by the police..

Tony Padilla: I'm telling you, the cops were looking through shit.

Caleb: At Monet's.

Tony Padilla: They hit Clay and Justin's last night, and this morning, they were in the back at Monet's turning everything over.

Caleb: So, they were just looking for anything Justin might've had there.

Tony Padilla: If they hit Monet's, they could come back to the garage. It's only a matter of time.

Caleb: But what can we do?

Tony Padilla: I can sell. I can sell for cash and get the money to my dad.

Caleb: You can't wire that much.

Tony Padilla: I'll drive it down there.

Caleb: Tony, take a breath. They have no reason to look at you again.

Tony Padilla: They have every reason! I lied to Clay & Hannah about seeing Bryce again. You don't think he's gonna give that up?

Caleb: I don't see why he would.

Tony Padilla: Because they're trying to frame him for murder.

Caleb: You don't need to tear up your whole life when nothing bad's happened yet.

Tony Padilla: And when the cops ask you where I was the night Bryce was killed?

Caleb: You were here, asleep, next to me.

Tony Padilla: What if they find out the truth?

Caleb didn't how to respond. Alex is eating breakfast with his parents as he begins to worry about Clay.

Alex Standall: You don't really think it's Clay, do you?

Bill Standall: Can't talk about an ongoing investigation, buddy.