Chapter 33: Bryce Walker Is Dead

Present

Bryce Walker's body has been found dead. No one knows yet. Justin was already up as he come in to the outhouse from the house kitchen as he tries to wake up Clay who's still sleeping.

Justin Foley: Yo, Jensen. Wake up. Your dad made waffles.

Justin throws a waffle at Clay as he wakes up while Justin gets ready for school.

Clay Jensen: What did we say about dirty dishes, Justin? You have lasagna over there from, like, 4 nights ago. You're not Dr. Fleming discovering penicillin.

Justin Foley: Dude, no one ever understands your jokes. By the way, Hannah has Tyler this morning.

Clay picks up his phone and looks at the time.

Clay Jensen: Oh, shit. I'm late. I've gotta get Ani.

Justin Foley: Are you allowed to do that?

Clay Jensen: We have this thing for robotics. And I wait at the bottom of the hill.

As Justin takes his shirt off, Clay gets up and realizes the scratches on Justin's back.

Clay Jensen: What happened to your back?

Justin Foley: Huh?

Justin looks at his own back and sees the scratches.

Justin Foley: Oh, are there... Uh, Homecoming, yeah, um... You know, the fight and everything.

Clay Jensen: Weren't you wearing pads?

Justin Foley: Yeah, but football, you know?

Justin puts on a shirt.

Justin Foley: Aren't you going to be late? (Claps hands) No shower today?

Clay Jensen: They didn't build us a shower on purpose. So we'd have to go in there every day.

Clay steps out of the outhouse as Justin begins to search his gym bag that's under his bed. However, Clay walk backs in.

Clay Jensen: Forgot my towel.

Justin stopped what he was doing as Clay just looks at him with a confused look. Zach arrived to pick up Justin as he quickly gets out of there, leaving Clay suspicious of Justin. As Clay is waiting for Ani, 2 police squad cars pass by coming from the Chatham house. Clay decides to brake Ani's rule and drives up to the driveway of the Chatham house. He parks his car on the driveway as he sees Nora Walker getting in the back of her SUV. Before she got in the car, she sees Clay on the driveway. Now the sheriff sees Clay and walks up to him.

Sheriff Diaz: Good morning, Clay.

Clay Jensen: Uh... good morning. Is everything okay?

Sheriff Diaz: I'm afraid not. Difficult time here this morning. What brings you by?

Clay Jensen: (Stammering) I'm... picking up a friend.

Sheriff Diaz: Which friend is that?

Clay Jensen: Ani... Achola?

Sheriff Diaz: I see. I don't suppose you've remembered anything else that might help us out? You know, since you last spoke to Deputy Standall.

Clay Jensen: No. No, sir.

Sheriff Diaz: Well, listen. You take care of yourself. (Clearing throat) I'm sure we're gonna be talking again real soon.

Diaz walks away as he heads for his squad car and drives away with Nora right behind him. Ani knocks on the back door window as Clay unlocks it. Ani puts a box with her robotics project she has Clay in the back seat.