Chapter 66: Goodbye

A week had past since graduation. School was out for the summer. Clay came back to Liberty one last time to clear out Justin's lockers and pick up Justin's diploma. Clay returned home with a box of Justin's belongings as he's sitting on his bed, looking at Justin's diploma.

Justin Foley: It was a nice speech.

Clay looks up and sees Justin sitting in his bed as he sets Justin's diploma down.

Clay Jensen: Thanks.

Justin Foley: I mean, it was super dark and... a little meandering, but very... you.

Clay chuckles at Justin.

Justin Foley: What's all that?

Clay Jensen: Uh, it's just stuff from school. They had me clean out your locker today.

Clay takes out some of Justin's stuff, including his crouch cup from the box.

Clay Jensen: Both of them.

Justin Foley: Oof! Sorry about that.

Clay Jensen: And... I found this.

Clay takes out a letter.

Clay Jensen: Your college essay. The one that got you in. I didn't read it. It's personal.

Justin Foley: Dude, I mean, we have literally breathed each other's farts. You've walked in on me jerking off more times than you even know, and now you draw the line?

Clay Jensen: Yeah.

Clay begins to read Justin's college essay.

Clay Jensen: (Clears Throat, Clicks Tongue) "I didn't really grow up with much positivity in my life. And if I had influences around me, they were definitely bad. My mother was a drug addict. Her revolving door of boyfriends, mostly drug addicts too. I had a best friend I used to look up to, but then he hurt people close to me, and now he's dead." Jesus, Justin, talk about dark.

Justin Foley: Just... keep going.

Clay Jensen: (Inhales Slowly) "There was a time in my life I truly had nothing but the clothes on my back and the regret for the people I'd hurt. And then a person came into my life. A person named Clay Jensen." You wrote about me?

Justin Foley: They, uh... They said to write about a positive influence in your life.

Clay Jensen: (Sighs) "Even when I was puking all over his room, he was there. He's always been there, which is why even though I've never had a proper family, I know what it feels like to have one because Clay gave that to me. Because he's my... He's my..."

Clay begins choking up as Justin finishes reciting the essay for him.

Justin Foley: "He's my brother. He's my positive influence. He's the reason I'm alive and able to write this college essay in the first place."

Clay Jensen: (Choked) I miss you. (Sobs) How am I supposed to do this without you?

Justin Foley: Clay, it's like you said. You'll survive.

I arrive to the Jensen's home as I make my way to the outhouse. I knock on the door as Clay answers it. I take a look at his face and I can tell that he was crying.

Hannah Baker: What's wrong?

Clay Jensen: Nothing.

Clay let's me in as he closes the door behind me. He then makes his way to his bed where he had a box lying there.