Chapter 39: Return of the Counselor

I came to the one person who would tell me about that night with Clay, Bryce, & the gun. I came to the Chatham house to talk to Mrs. Walker. She was surprised to see here, again.

Nora Walker: Come in.

I enter the Chatham house as I see Ani's mother standing in the kitchen looking at me.

Hannah Baker: You must be Ani's mother. I'm Hannah, I'm a friend of Ani.

Nora Walker: And of Clay Jensen.

Amara Josephine Achola: You're the girl who tried to take her own life.

Hannah Baker: Ani told you about that?

Nora Walker: No, but I did. So what brings you to my home, for a 3rd time.

Hannah Baker: I need to know what happened the night that Clay came to your home with a gun. I heard that you have footage.

Nora Walker: I do.

Hannah Baker: May I see it.

Nora Walker: Amara Josephine, can you give Hannah a towel to dry off. Follow me.

Mrs. Walker agreed to show me the footage a she leads me to her office.

Nora Walker: I have to warn you. Because of what you did, I have to caution you in what Clay does before my son stepped out.

I'm worried now. What could Clay have done before pointing the gun at Bryce. She turns on her laptop and brings up the video. Ani's mom comes in and hands me a towel as I dry off. Mrs. Walker turns her laptop to my direction as she presses play. I see Clay walking in the driveway with the gun in his hand as Justin arrives in Clay's Prius. Justin tries to stop him but then Clay points the gun at Justin. I couldn't believe he would do that to Justin as well.

Hannah Baker: Oh, my god!

Now Clay is pointing the gun to his own head. Tears begin to fall down from my eyes. Clay, what has happened to you? Clay is looking at something and saying something, but the video doesn't have audio. Now I see Bryce coming out from the front door of his house. Clay lowers the gun and he's shaking. Now he points the gun at Bryce.

Hannah Baker: (Whispering) Clay, what have you done?

I then see Clay lowering the gun as Justin takes it away from him. The video ends there. All I can do is cry.

Nora Walker: Amara Josephine, can you make her some tea? Hannah, have a seat.

Mrs. Walker leads me to the living room and sits me down on a chair as she sits on another next to me.

Nora Walker: I'm sorry you had to see that.

Ani's mom bring me a cup of tea as I take a drink to help calm me down.

Nora Walker: I know you care about Clay Jensen, but he did hated Bryce for what he did to you & Jessica Davis.

I calm down and set the cup on the table.

Hannah Baker: I never should've made those tapes. It drove him to do that.

Nora Walker: If you hadn't, then we wouldn't had known what Bryce did to you & Jessica.

I hear noise coming from upstairs.

Amara Josephine Achola: I'll handle it.

Ani's mother heads upstairs. Must be Bryce's grandfather that Ani told me about.