Chapter 20: The Clubhouse

While waiting for a tow truck, Tony talks to Caleb about how the school wants him to testify and how he could fuck everything up for the Bakers.

Caleb: So, what do you know that someone doesn't want you saying in court?

Tony Padilla: I know a lot. I've done a lot.

Caleb: But you can't tell the cops? Or your folks?

Tony Padilla: Nope.

Caleb: So, how bad is it gonna be?

Tony Padilla: The school called me in, not the Bakers. The school wants me to talk about how Hannah blamed lots of people and wanted revenge.

Caleb: They told you that?

Tony Padilla: No. The Bakers' lawyer did. He also warned me he would have to make me look unreliable.

Caleb: Oh, shit.

Tony Padilla: I could fuck everything up.

Caleb: For the Bakers?

Tony Padilla: Yeah, for the Bakers, for my family. For us.

Caleb: Oh, so... we're an "us" now?

Tony Padilla: I mean, yeah, like... until I fuck it up.

Caleb: Oh, you won't. Not us.

After picking up Justin at the bus station, Clay explains to him about finding The Clubhouse as he drives back home.

Clay Jensen: Look, don't you get it? It has to be the Clubhouse.

Justin Foley: Right.

Clay Jensen: Are you high? Jesus.

Justin Foley: No.

Clay Jensen: I can't bring that shit home again.

Justin Foley: I'm not. I'm just tired.

Clay Jensen: So, if you weren't using, what have you been doing the past 48 hours?

Justin Foley: I saw my mom. Your mom?

Clay Jensen: I thought you didn't know where she moved.

Justin Foley: Well, turns out I lie sometimes.

Clay Jensen: Wait, so you went home?

Justin Foley: No, I saw my mom. She gave me some cash.

Clay Jensen: She gave you that?

Justin Foley: Here. It's for you. Consider it rent. Till I can find something permanent.

Clay Jensen: Keep it. I don't pay rent anyway. So... If you have all that cash... why'd you call me?

Justin Foley: You said you needed me. I'm just... I'm done with doing fucked-up things.

Clay Jensen: (Sighs) Yeah. I may need you to do one or two more fucked-up things.

Once they arrived home, Justin hops in the shower as Clay goes to his room. Justin wasn't the only one or thing that came back.

Hannah Baker: He came back.

Clay sees the hallucination of Hannah back as she sits on his bed