Chapter 22: Awakening

What the fuck? What happened?

Hannah wonders.

Where am I? Am I dead?

Hannah hears the EKG machine beeping as she turns to her right to see the machine.

Am I... in a hospital?

Hannah looks around and finds herself inside a hospital room. Hannah tries to get up.

I can't move my legs? Why can't I move my legs?

Hannah just sits up and takes the nasogastric tube off her nose. Hannah suddenly notices the scars on both her wrist.

I remember. I tried to end it. But, I'm alive. How am I alive? Why am I alive? This wasn't supposed to happen.

Hannah Baker: (Weakly) Hello? Hello?

A janitor comes by as he is mopping the hallway.

Hannah Baker: (Weakly) Hello.

The janitor barely hears Hannah and he turns towards her room and sees her.

Janitor: Oh, hello. Is everything alright?

Hannah Baker: (Weakly) Help.

Janitor: Help? Do you need a nurse?

Hannah nods at him.

Janitor: I'll get a nurse. Hold on.

The janitor sets his mop to the side as he goes to search for a nurse. Hannah looks back at her scars.

They're healed up. How long was I out?

Meanwhile back at the Walker house...

Bryce Walker: The fuck are you 2 doing?

Justin Foley: Just hold on.

Bryce gets closer as Clay now points the gun towards him.

Clay Jensen: He's gonna keep doing it. We have to stop him.

Justin Foley: Not like this.

Bryce Walker: I'm calling the cops.

Justin Foley: Just shut the fuck up and hold on, Bryce!

Clay Jensen: It's never gonna get any better. You were right to run away.

Justin Foley: No, I wasn't. That's why you came and got me, remember? For Jess, for Hannah.

Clay Jensen: Hannah wants him dead.

Justin Foley: No, I don't think she does. I don't think she wants to keep seeing people get hurt. I don't. Okay?

Clay lowers the gun as he looks Justin in the eyes. Justin slowly get closer to Clay as he takes the gun away from him.

Bryce Walker: This is fucking ridiculous.

Justin cocks the gun.

Justin Foley: You're gonna go back inside and you're gonna pour yourself another glass of whiskey, and you're gonna forget that we were ever here, got it?

Justin leads Clay towards his car as he opens the passenger door as Clay gets in.

Bryce Walker: I heard they just filed for another additional witness. That wouldn't be you by any chance, would it?

Justin closes the passenger door as he makes his way to the driver's side.

Bryce Walker: You should be more scared than you are, Justin.