Chapter 28: The New Girl

As if the Winter Formal wasn't the worst dance I've been to, then Spring Fling just topped it. Clay managed to talk Tyler out of shooting up the school. He saved a lot of lives. But somebody called the cops.

Clay Jensen: I fucking said no cops.

Hannah Baker: Clay, just breath.

Clay is panicking as squad cars drive past us. Clay's phone rings.

Clay Jensen: Hannah, can you take it please.

I take Clay's phone. It's Tony.

Hannah Baker: Tony, it's Hannah. We'll be there in 2 minutes.

Tony Padilla: What? What are you doing, Hannah?

Hannah Baker: Helping Tyler.

Tony Padilla: You should've stayed at the dance.

Hannah Baker: Tony, I know you helped me out with the tapes because you owed me one. Now I owe you.

Tony Padilla: Hannah, no!

Hannah Baker: Listen, we're free and clear, I don't even think they looked as Clay drove by. Justin and the guys are gonna talk to the police. We got a story.

The police arrive and shut the dance down. They brought Justin, Zach, Cyrus, & Bryce down to the station for questioning as they took turns.

Justin Foley: We didn't take it as real. It's just him, you know?

Zach Dempsey: I heard him talking about it and I jumped to conclusions.

Cyrus: It was a total joke, all right?

Bill Standall: Yeah?

Cyrus: It was fucking stupid but it was a total joke.

Bill Standall: You made a joke?

Cyrus: I did.

Tony brought Tyler to a abandoned factory as they hide from the police.

Tony Padilla: Tyler? How you doing?

Tyler is in shock.

Tony Padilla: Just breathe, man. Everything's going to be okay.

They hear police sirens passing by as it startles Tyler.

Tony Padilla: Wait, they're... They're not coming here. They're going to the school. But we need you to get out of the backpack and the belt. I need you to be here... with me.

Tony gets closer to Tyler.

Tyler Down: NO, DON'T TOUCH ME!

Tony Padilla: Okay!

Tyler Down: DON'T FUCKING TOUCH ME!

Tony Padilla: Okay, Tyler! I'm not. I'm over here. You're good. But I'm gonna need you to take off the backpack and take off the belt and walk away from them.

Tyler takes off his backpack and gun belt and sets it on the ground.

Tony Padilla: Now walk towards me.

Before Tyler can take a step, Clay & Hannah arrive as Tyler gets scared.

Tony Padilla: It's just Clay & Hannah. It's just Clay & Hannah, see? I told you we were going to meet up with them in the car. Right. Okay.

Clay parks the car as we look at poor Tyler. I could not get Tyler's bruises out of my mind. We both get out of Tyler's car as Tony comes to us.

Tony Padilla: I can't believe you brought her with you.