Chapter:12

"Oh, come inside. Give me a minute, I'm going to go wash up." Lisa opened the door to let Kai in.

Walking inside, he slowly looked around this little home, and his chest filled with a complex mix of emotions.

He still remembered how excited he was when he had first moved in with Lisa. Even though they slept in separate rooms, the simple fact that they could be together from dawn to dusk filled him with joy. If it hadn't been for the incident at her high-school reunion, perhaps they would have held their wedding already.

Kai truly hated that ex-boyfriend of Lisa's. They broke up so many years ago, so why did he have to come running back and bother them?

If he was that rich, why didn't he just go and find another girlfriend? Why did he have to cling onto Lisa?

Lisa got dressed, then went to the bathroom to wash up. When she came out, she saw Kai was sitting on the sofa, reading the newspaper.

"Why did you want to see me?" Drying her hair, Lisa walked into the room.

"Thank you for bailing me out yesterday," Kai opened his mouth and said awkwardly.

Lisa instantly knew what he was talking about and only calmly replied, "It's nothing."

"Lisa, actually, I'm not normally like that. I was just in a bad mood yesterday. I was thinking about our past together, which was why I went drinking. After I got drunk, some woman took me out of the bar. I actually don't remember what happened after that. You have to believe me."

"You shouldn't be explaining this to me. Your current girlfriend is Dahyun," Lisa reminded him.

"Lisa, you know I still have feelings for you. Over the past few years, you and I…"

"Kai, what are you trying to say?" Lisa cut straight to the point.

"I was in the wrong this time. You went through the trouble of picking me up last night and getting me to the hotel. I really feel that I've wronged you. Dahyun and I were just fooling around. It wasn't real. You're still the one I love. Let's wipe the slate clean, okay? I won't bring up the fact that you were still in contact with your ex-boyfriend anymore. I screwed up last night. Add that to the thing with Dahyun, and we can call it even. Let's go back to how things were before, alright?"

Lisa put down her towel. "Kai… Do you think life is a game? You mess up, and you can just start over?" she asked, staring seriously into Kai's eyes.

"That's not what I was thinking. It took us time and effort to come together. Since we both have feelings for one another, why do we have to torture each other?"

"Kai, do you know what kind of person I hate the most?"

"What?" Kai asked.

"Liars."

"I didn't lie, Lisa. Yesterday was really the first time I screwed up. I won't do it again."

"But the policeman at the station told me that you had been taken to the station before. It wasn't your first time with a prostitute. You're a frequent offender."

When Lisa finished speaking, Kai's face instantly drained of color.

It was a while before he was able to stammer out, "Don't listen to those policemen. They're all corrupt. They only arrest people for the money. They set me up."

"Kai, that's not the point. The point is that we can't go back."

"Why? You still want to be with your ex-boyfriend, don't you? Just because he has more money than me?" Kai was getting angry.