Chapter:13

"Keep your voices down. You can't be loud in here." A nurse arrived immediately to intervene.

"Mom, calm down."

"Shut up. This is your fault, you little witch! You caused the death of Haruto's dad, and now you've come to take Haruto. What could I have done to deserve such a cursed daughter? Such bad karma!" her mother was crying and throwing punches at Lisa.

Lisa herself was morose, and she had no words to offer.

Then, her mother suddenly grabbed Lisa's collar and yelled, "Did the Jeon family do it? Huh? Is this another retaliation because you're going after their son again? Tell me, tell me now!"

"Mom, calm down. Professor Han said it was a multi-car pileup, not a targeted accident," Lisa explained.

"I don't buy it. I don't believe it. It must be you. It must be that family. It has to be them! I'll kill them!" When she finished, her mother ran towards the exit.

"Mom…" Lisa held her mother's hand tightly, sobbing.

Finally, her mother leaned forward and collapsed…

"Mom, stay with me." Lisa felt like her brain was going to explode.

Her brother was not out of danger yet, and now her mom had fainted. Lisa had taken two hits and was on the brink of falling apart.

After making arrangements for her mother, Lisa pulled herself together and walked towards the top floor of the hospital.

- At the hospital director's door -

"I want to see the director," Lisa said to the male assistant.

"Do you have an appointment?"

"No."

The assistant met Lisa last time so he knew who she was. He nodded, "Wait here for a second and I'll speak with him."

Shortly, the assistant came out, "You can go in now."

"Thank you."

Lisa saw the director sitting in his chair when she walked in, presumably writing a report of some sort.

"Director Jung."

"Oh, you're here. Take a seat." The director wasn't a stranger to this uniform.

Liaa nodded, her eyes red. She sat down on the chair across from the director.

"You are here for something. Tell me." The director thought she came with demands because he hadn't given her a big enough bonus last time.

Unexpectedly, Lisa burst into tears as soon as she started talking, "Director, ple-please save my brother."

"What's going on, slow down, take your time," he said with a grave tone. Seeing her like this, Director Jung stopped what he was doing and adjusted his glasses.

"Director, my brother was in a car accident today at school and was sent to our hospital for emergency care. The lead surgeon said that he suffered severe brain damage. After the emergency surgery, he's still not out of danger, so the doctor suggested a second surgery. But because his injuries are in a crucial part of the brain, the second surgery is extremely risky. He's only nineteen and he's my only brother. I don't want to lose him. Please help me."

"I see. Don't worry. Let me make a phone call and ask."

Soon after, Director Jung dialed the Neurosurgery Department extension and spoke to the doctor there.

After a few minutes, Director Jung hung up the phone and said with a heavy tone, "Lisa, your brother's situation is complicated. Doctor Kang from the Neurosurgery Department told me that he has little confidence in this surgery. Besides, even if the surgery is successful, there may be side effects."