Himeko's Birthday

Himeko's POV

"Haaaah~. This booze is life! Get me one more glass!" I screamed at the bartender, who sighed and proceeded to listen to my request.

It was night and there were very few customers so he didn't care about my shouting.....much.

He placed a glass of beer in front of me.

I was about to pick it up when a hand pulled it away from my grasp.

"How much do you plan to drink, Sensei?" He asked narrowing his eyes.

Oh..I remember Theresa asked Kotaro to come along with me to prevent me from drinking too much. She worried too much.

"Ehhh! I just started though and I'm not even drunk yet?"

"Why does it seem like you yourself are not even sure of that?" He sighed.

"Ara ara~ don't sigh so much Kotaro. You're going to be a grumpy old man when you grow up." I booped his nose and he didn't react.

"Ha...ha..I'm not sure how to react to that."

"Want this beautiful Onee-san to teach you to react?" I winked at him to get him flustered.

"Even though you never had a boyfriend?"

I felt like a arrow passed through me.

"I-I have no idea w-what you mean." I looked away.

"You're reaction just confirms what I said though...Anyway."

Ugh. I got told off by someone younger who's dense enough not to notice the feelings of the girls around him.

I heard a sound of him searching through his bag so I turned and he pulled a gift wrapped package.

"What's that?" I asked as my curiosity raised.

He put in front of me and with a bright smile he said.

"Happy birthday, Himeko-Sensei."

My eyes widened.

"It's my birthday today? I pulled out my phone and checked."

....

Yeah, its definitely my birthday. I didn't notice...Have I been too busy with work lately?

No wonder principal seemed like she wanted to say something the whole day but didn't. Instead gave a whole day off for me.

I felt Kotaro tap on my shoulder.

"Sensei, aren't you going to open it?"

"Ah. Yes."

I carefully opened the ribbon and removed the paper.

"This is...."

There were two framed photographs.
One photograph was of all my students.
Looking at their innocent smiles warms my heart as I felt a smile on my face too.

The next was of Squad 5 along with Theresa and me.

"Thank you, Kotaro."

"Welcome, Sensei. Also the rest are waiting at the dorm to celebrate with you."

As I looked at the picture of squad 5, I felt a pain in my body, reminding me of the future.

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

When we came out of the bar, I looked at the moon as I thought about my time left in this world.

"Kotaro."

The black haired boy who just closed the door to the bar, turned his bright red eyes to me with a smile.

"Yes?"

"Take care of the girls in place of me when the time is right. Theresa may the adult but there's a limit to how much she can handle."

He narrowed his eyes and raised his eyebrow.

"No."

He turned in the direction of the dorms.

"I see.." I looked down.

"That is your job so I'm not going to share it.....My job is too-"

I raised my eyes and looked at him.

"-make sure all of you are together. Even if there's trouble, I'll make sure that the ending is where you're all alive and happy." He said with confidence.

"Kotaro...." I hit him slowly on his shoulder.

"Look at you, acting all cool. This onee-san might fall in love you know?" I teased.

He only smiled as we walked to the dorms.

"....eko! Himeko!" I woke to someone violently pushing my shoulders.

"I'm awake! I'm awake! Is it the end of the world yet? Or is it morning?"

"No you idiot! It's time to work! And its only evening." Tesla spoke with annoyed tone and huffed.

"Ah. I see." I stretched myself to wake my body up.

I rubbed my eyes and when I opened them, I saw the picture of squad 5 on my desk.

My girls were now grown up and responsible. Yet I somehow miss their past selves. Just as I miss the person missing from the picture.

"Any contact from Mei and her squad?" I asked Tesla who looked worried.

"Not yet. Overseer dispatched Bronya and Kiana and she informed us that they reached there a few minutes ago."

"Oh? Did Bronya like the new upgrade I did for her?" I asked curious.

"She did but she had a temporary problem. Which she resolved soon enough."

"Good good. And speaking of overseers where's our former overseer. Wasn't he supposed to be here helping us?"

"He's substituting for Theresa because she's fallen ill from exhaustion." Einstein's voice came from the other side of the room.

She didn't take her eyes off from her work.

"I guess I'll go pay her a visit before starting work again." I said as I removed my white coat.

Tesla sighed.

"Don't be too late, we've got work to do as well."

I nodded and went out.

. . . . . . . . .

While walking I looked outside the window. The moon was there again, just like any other night. It seemed brighter than that day.

You succeeded in keeping us together but you didn't consider the feelings of those you left behind. More importantly your own.

I closed my eyes for a second before moving towards Theresa's room.

3rd's POV

???'s eyes twitched.

'Fragment 3/?? Obtained'

???'s eyes opened slightly.

The eyes were dull as if there was no soul left in them.

???'s closed again.