Chapter 48

Kotaro's POV

"*sigh*...so in the end that's what it happened?"

I sank back into the chair and looked up.

We failed. It took a second to get that in my head.

MEI really died to the honkai infection. I saw the marks of honkai on her neck but MEI had me promise not to say anything to Kevin. I ignored it because I believed she would find a way through it. Guess she didn't.

And my best friend used his life to trap the other best friend to prevent him from starting project:STIGMA.

This is quite a lot to take in.

And...

I looked at Hua, my shy and curious kouhai was no more. She had turned to a lonely girl. She only lived to eliminate honkai. She had lost too many people and she then turned like this to prevent herself from getting hurt.

"Fuwa and Nuwa..what about them?" I know its a stupid question but..

She looked at me for a second before shaking her head slowly.

"I see."

"......."

"Hua."

"Yes?"

"I'm sorry you had to got through all this."

"Its alright. All I've been doing is my duty. I have no regrets."

That's not how a person who has no regrets looks like, Hua.

"What about you? Su said to us that you had died protecting the base. So how are you here?"

"Well I'm not sure either. For a long time I've felt like I was dreaming, with no control over it. When I finally was able to think straight, I found myself in a village."

I related the rest of the events to Hua who listened intently till the end.

"I'm sorry my disciple caused you troubles, I'll be sure to reprimand them."

"Ah no it's fine. It was entertaining in a way."

"What do you plan to do now? Are you going back to the village?" Her eyes held anticipation for the first time I've seen her for a while.

I looked at Hua for a second. I can't leave her like this.

"If you don't mind...I would like to stay here for a bit and know more about the current situation."

"You don't need to stay here because you're worried about me. I can handle the situation without any problem." She said with a sad smile.

She read me like a book but I didn't come so far by saying yes to people who deny me something.

I lifted my hand up, her eyes followed it till she realised what it was for.

I brought it down the chop of understanding on her head, not too hard, not too soft.

"When your senpai tries to help you out. What do you reply, Kouhai?"

"We accept it and learn from it." She said automatically.

I gave her head a pat and took back my hand.