Chapter 76

Kotaro's POV

The vast expanse of darkness enveloped us, stretching out infinitely and threatening to engulf us entirely. There were also faint glimmers of light dancing in the void.

It appeared as though those were the reflections of the dreamlands, the traces that the humans left behind, a reminder of their presence within project Stigma's unsettling boundaries.

Even though they looked like a glimmer of hope in the entire darkness. I only felt more aware that they were anything but that. The dreamlands only acted as a prison for their occupants. After all what's more terrifying than being trapped in a illusion tailored for your own mind.

I looked down at the white haired short woman who had called for me.

She was silently contemplating something amidst the encroaching void.

Ah. My neck is gonna hurt again later.

"I feel like you just thought something rude." She said to me with a glare in her blue eyes and a pout in her face.

"Just your imagination." I brushed it off, looking away from her.

We moved silently through the surrounding darkness, as if careful not to disrupt the eerie silence surrounding us. Suddenly, a flash of light appeared in front of our eyes, suppressing the shadows.

Our way forward was clear.

"Ready?" I asked.

She took a moment of silence and nodded. With a resolute look in her eyes, we entered the light.

When I opened my eyes, I was met with a nostalgic view.

A series of brick buildings surrounded the area, giving it a cozy and nostalgic feel. The charming fountain in the heart gave the surroundings further beauty. There were children who were cheerfully engaged in a variety of activities - playing, chatting, and having fun around the fountain. The entire area felt alive with their vibrant energy.

This is definitely a-

"It's a school." Theresa said looking at the surroundings carefully.

Ah, school. The epitome of prison.

"......"

A tinge of nostalgia tugged at my heart as I took in the sight of the school.
St. Freya and Chiba Academy each had their own allure, but this place had a special air.

Memories ran through my mind like an old movie reel, taking me back to the opening ceremony of my middle school. In my mind's eye, I could nearly see the treasured photo of my family and childhood friends, which brought back happy memories of simpler times. One where I wasn't worried every second about whether my actions in this world could cause harm to the people surrounding me.

I was brought back to reality or rather the dreamland, by the tug on my sleeve and a worried pair of eyes.

"Kotaro? Are you alright? You've been standing there in a daze." Theresa asked me in a worried tone.

That was unlike me. I thought I was already beyond feeling like that again. How strange. Done with my contemplating, I turned to Theresa.

"Oh nothing. I was just wondering if the kids will listen to someone who's their age." I teased with a smile.

Surprisingly Theresa didn't pout or get angry at me, rather she sighed. The look of worry in her eyes didn't leave.

She reached out her hands like a kid waiting to be lifted up.

"What are you-" I asked

"Just bend down." She ordered.

Complying, I bend down. She reached out and held my head gently.