Chapter 59

Kotaro's POV

The fragments have always been mysterious. It not only showed me the memories but it was as if I was the one experiencing the life. I could feel the emotions of the person I was watching, as if it was my own.

As such I could feel his sadness, his anger at his own powerlessness to save his friend, as if I was the one who lost a friend.

Kallen looked like she wanted to comfort him but she couldn't find any words. She looked down with guilt. I can imagine, what's going through her mind.

She blames herself for the state Raum is in and what happened with Sakura and Rin.

She should never have come here.

With these thoughts in mind, she stood up.

"Kallen?" I called out to her.

"I.....I need to going back." She stated.

"I thought you were running away from your home."

"I have a......genius friend over there. If I ask him about this box, he may be able give us an idea to save Sakura."

I looked down. If there was such a way, Dr.MEI or Mobius would have found a long time ago.

It's hopeless but I didn't have the courage to say it to her face, when all she wanted to do was help.

So I nodded.

"Aren't you going to talk to Rin?"

"........." I can't look Rin straight in the eye.

"She needs you the most right now, you know?" Kallen said gently.

I nodded weakly.

She sighed and appeared in front of the chair, I was seated in.

"?"

She punched on the head.

"What was that fo-?!"

Next moment she hugged my head gently.

"Where is the snarky Raum? The one who used every opportunity he got to poke fun at me."

"Mmmph! Hm..hmmmmmm!!"

She giggled. "I don't understand a word coming out of you."

Before dying breathless in her chest, I pulled out. Not that I would have hated it....

"........"

I felt the judgemental eyes of someone who wasn't supposed to be here.

"I couldn't breathe in that abyss. For a second, I thought I saw Hua waving at me from the other side. Wait, she's alive, isn't she?"

She laughed and wiped out a tear from her eyes.

"Welcome back, Raum."

"...Thanks, Kallen. You were finally useful for something. Are you proud of yourself?"

"Hey!"

"I'm just kidding." I smiled from the bottom of my heart for the first time in these few days.