Chapter 39

Kotaro's POV

"There is an emergency." Einstein spoke with a serious look on her face.

"What? I can finally come back now?" Tesla asked.

"Yes, but it's not necessarily a good news. The worst has happened."

"Data shows the cores extracted from the puppets are highly similar to that of a certain herrscher."

"The 10th herrscher, the herrscher of dominance, also known as the legion herrscher in the previous Era."

"The legion herrscher?" Seele asked curiously.

"There are a thousand of them. They're weak individually but they act in a coordinated manner and are hard to deal with." Tesla answered.

She typed something in her side and a picture showed up.

"But mophead, the 10th herrscher in the previous Era doesn't necessarily match the pattern we're seeing now. The 1000 individuals were all human beings each with a core inside, and there wasn't anything about puppets or theatre."

"That's why I didn't jump to conclusions earlier. The differences have further the situation."

"Herrschers of our time have exhibited different traits than those from the previous Era."

Totally not due to a certain simp.

"Humanity has evolved, and so have they. It would be problematic to deduct the herrscher we're facing now based on records from the previous Era."

"Simply put, we're looking at a more complicated case." Tesla sighed as she concluded.

"I remember the legion herrscher from last Era could keep their minds in sync and work seamlessly together to mount up serial attacks. If this hasn't changed, it's not hard to explain why the puppets can produce an accurate advance crime notice every time."

"Schicksal says similar cases have broken out all over the globe, each connected to a broken puppet and a show ticket. In addition, some crime scenes with similar traces but nothing else were found. Maybe World serpent was there first." Einstein said she swept through the data on screen.

"Both? Now every piece of evidence points to the emergence of a new herrscher." Tesla sighed. "You were right. I can finally come back now, but I find it hard to cheer up."

"Though I can tell from the look on your face that you're holding something even worse back."

"Dr.Tesla, How I wish your keen observation could be put to better use. Just now, the result of the soil tracing test came out. Their next target is....the salt lake base."

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

I stood in the empty hallway which was filled with people, just a few hours ago.

"Just like a space station." Seele described.

"Or...Matushka Cocolia's food stash."

"Heheh, you're right." They both laughed at the fond memory.

Ah. Old Matushka's food stash.

It was filled with cookies and snacks exclusively for Matushka.

Till I found it and shared half with the twins and the other half with Bronya, Seele and Sin Mal.

Matushka couldn't figure out who ate and before she could punish all, I just took responsibility.

Though instead of punishing me, she just sighed and made me swear not to do something like that again.