Chapter 19.

(Skipping to the racing part!)

...

Luz stretched her legs and started the warm-up. She did push-ups, a lot of them in fact.

Amity, Willow, Augustus, Edric and Emira were rooting for Luz. Luz was extremely happy and when she went to where she was supposed to, she saw Anna.

"I remember the last time we raced with each other. I was so slow back then but let me tell you this. I practiced every single day for this day. I won't lose, Noceda."

Luz smirked.

"The audacity to call me Noceda? How about you call me-"

"Go!"

"Your boss!?" Luz ran and she passed 3 people. Her trick of always winning races was to breathe in a way that it would look like smoke would come out. In a way, her body would feel so flexible that she would run so fast.

Then she passed 5 people. "Oh come on! There are obstacles too!? They really said 'Oh, let the last game be hard!'... Tch." Luz thought and jumped over water.

"Okay! The game's been good so far and... Oh, looks like Luz Noceda is winning this game again! She's almost close and she's gone by almost all the obstacles! Looks like the majority of the other team is stuck!"

"No... No absolute way! Luz Noceda and Anna Storms are battling! One is passing the other and going behind and vice-versa! Who will win this game??" The commentator screamed in excitement.

All of them held hands and screamed for Luz's victory. "Come on Luz... I know you can do it!" Amity screamed and Luz could hear it from all the way there.

When she saw Amity's face, she ran like the Flash. She jumped, dodged and overcame all the obstacles.

But something went wrong.

When that "power" went away, Luz started coughing. Luz went on her knees.

Anna was far behind Luz but was catching up. "Ho? Is there something wrong with Luz?" The commentator said in disappointment.

"Get up you freaking dog!"

"I bet on you, I can't lose my freaking money!"

Luz was even coughing hard and more as people were shouting louder and louder. "Luz Noceda is coughing blood! What happened to her!?" Luz managed to stand up and run but she was too weak.

It felt like parts of her body were removing. Like it was just dispersing. Or even disappearing like dust.

Anna was getting closer to Luz and it was only two more steps until Luz reached the finish line.

None of her teammates were close to Luz or Anna, not to even talk less of passing Anna in a game like racing.

So it was Luz or nothing.

"Luz!" Everyone stood up and started cheering her. "You can do it!"

"I believe in you!"

"You can win!"

Luz got encouraged, she was happy. Luz stood up and walked. "Almost there!" They saw Anna catching up.

And-

"Ah... I told you." Luz smiled.

"You're too slow." Luz got to the finish line immediately Anna was about to win.

But Luz fell down.

Everyone started screaming and rejoicing in Luz's victory but Amity and the others went to meet her.

"Luz... Luz isn't moving." Willow said and Amity went closer to her.

"But she can still survive. Throughout my years of being with this girl, things happened to her, something exactly like this." Anna said and Gus brought out his phone and called the nearest hospital.

Amity was scared. Luz can't just die, can she?

They immediately rushed Luz to the nearest hospital and Luz went to a room.

"Sorry, but you can't come in right now." Amity was scared. "But I'm her girlfriend!" She screamed as tears feel from her eyes. "I'm sorry, but you can't enter this room. You will meet her in a good condition, if possible." He shaked his head in pity and walked away.

2 hours later...

"There's good news and bad news." The doctor came in and they all went to him.

"Start with the good news." The doctor looked at the files. "Okay, she will survive." Everyone was relieved.

But the doctor kept quiet.

"But... But this patient, Luz Noceda." He didn't know what to say.

"According to what we saw and checked... She donated her lung to her dead mother and- and even though this is common in our hospital, she has one kind of sickness."

"A terrible one."

"Come on, sit down." Everyone say down and the doctor explained everything to all of them.

"Luz has visited this hospital before. When she was young, she brought her mother and told me that she was having issues breathing. When she checked, we came to a decision that she needed a lung. I can't explain further than that."

"The day after, Luz came to us and explained that her father disagreed to give his lung and she said that she would give her own to her mother instead. We did everything possible and we have the lung."

"But we didn't know that Luz had a problem with the lung she has now. We don't know what might have caused it but the problem makes her cough blood, feel dizzy and want to make her vomit. Even worse, not even breathe, which can lead to death."

Amity started crying. She cried that all of them started to comfort her even though they were crying too.

"It's worse and even sadder because the lung that her own daughter even gave her, she abused it. Luz would come to the hospital to even talk to me and boldly say things like how her mother would always drink and smoke too much and sleep with a lot of men."

Then the memories came back to Amity.

"My mother was an alcoholic who would always sleep with other men and my father was always smoking and also sleeping with other women." She remembered what Luz said, clearly and word by word.

They shook their head in pity for Luz.

It was extremely sad.

...

"Argh..." Luz blinked a little and saw mitt beside her.

"Amity?" Luz sat upright. "What are you doing here? You should be at home!" Amity kept quiet.

"Where are the others?" Luz looked around but saw nobody. "They've all gone back home." Luz looked down.

"I did scare you, didn't I." Amity held Luz's hand.

"Luz, I am so sorry that you went through something like this. The doctor told us about your story. How your mother had breathing problems and all of that..." Luz'z eyes were widened.

Luz looked away.

"I'll be fine, alright?" Luz kissed Amity on the cheek.

"Oh, that reminds me! I wanted to give you a little something." Luz brought it from her pocket.

"Could you uh- close your eyes and give me your hand?" Amity did so and brought out her hand. Then Amity heard a click.

"You can open your eyes." Amity opened them and she saw it.

Her name was written in cursive and it was gold, like the colour of her eyes. "It's a special type of bracelet. I told someone very close to me to make it."

"Do you... like it?" Amity hugged Luz.

"I love it, just the same way I love you."