Chapter 38.

10 years later...

Luz was sitting on her bed, biting her nails and shaking her leg, as if she was nervous for an interview. She longed to see Amity Blight, the love of her life. It was only years later until she could meet her.

Luz breathed in and out and decided to calm down.

"It's not like she'll miss me anyways."

"Of course she won't! You're a criminal, who would want to date a criminal?"

"All you can do is look from the sidelines. See how she enjoys her life with someone else better than you."

She just couldn't stop thinking negatively, and that was bad. It became worse when Luz had remembered that exactly 10 years before, that same girl had promised her to call again but she never did.

Was she in trouble? Was she kidnapped? Those were the first things that came to Luz's mind that day.

But today, Luz came to the conclusion that she liked someone. Someone that wasn't her.

"You got company." Luz didn't care but the person still came inside anyway.

"Luz?"

"Luz, how are you? Have you been alright?" Luz immediately noticed it was Emira's voice.

"Is that a nice question to ask a criminal?" She questioned aggressively and Emira frowned.

"I'm sorry Luz, I just wanted to talk to you." Emira stared at Luz and she felt total pity for her. This was a woman that was locked up in prison, love not being given to her for 10 years.

"Amity's found someone else." Luz's eyes widened, but she didn't dare make an obvious reaction.

"Good for her."

"Seriously Luz? You aren't going to do anything?" Emira furrowed her eyebrows and crossed her arms in anger.

Luz turned and looked at her, face-to-face.

"I don't have any say in it. A person in their right senses would dump a criminal without letting them know." Luz rolled her eyes in annoyance.

But Luz was shocked. Who knew that her thoughts were actually right? Amity Blight dating another girl. But what could she do? She was stuck in the middle of the sea, and she couldn't just "swim" back to her.

"Without letting them know? What do you mean?" Emira tilted her head, confused.

"Your little sister had called me 10 years ago and promised to call me back. How am I not surprised that she didn't." Luz checked her phone and entered her chat.

Only for her to see that she was blocked a very long time ago.

She sighed. Things weren't going well today for this woman.

"I'm sorry Luz." Emira looked at the floor and frowned. Emira knew that both of them were supposed to be together, that they were for each other. She couldn't blame Luz and she couldn't blame her little sister.

"You shouldn't be apologizing. I should be the one to do so." She muttered and looked at the ground, as her heart was filled with total sadness to the very brim.

She didn't know how to feel at this point. Happy? Sad? Displeased? She just didn't know.

"I'm sorry for putting up an act on the three of you. You deserve better. Edric might still hate me after so many years but I still ask for his forgiveness. I'm trying really hard to change."

Emira looked at her eyes and she saw something new. It was eyes, full of hope. She never saw this in the old Luz. But she believed her.

For her to have apologised so sincerely, Emira knew that Luz had changed. It wasn't a mere act this time. This time, it was real.

"What about Amity?" Luz's eyes widened and she turned away, clenching her hand. She didn't want to answer that question but she had to.

"I don't have to necessarily tell her anything. I just hope that she lives a happy life with her partner. I know that person is a better person than me in every way possible." Luz laughed, but Emira could know that she was in pain.

Emira checked her time and realised she had things to do.

"Oh. I have to go." She looked at Luz who was nervous.

But Emira put her hand on her shoulder and Luz looked at her.

"Just calm down. I understand you're in pain. I'm sorry to say this but all you can really do is to support her from the sidelines. It'll be wrong to forcefully take her back to be yours." Luz looked at the floor and sighed.

Who knew that love was this tough to deal with?

Emira left and waved at Luz and Luz did the same.

Luz was thinking about what Emira said and it kept on recurring in her mind.

Supporting her from the sidelines, supporting her from the sidelines, supporting her from the sidelines.

"Supporting her from the sidelines." Luz used her hands to cover her face.

"How the hell can I support her from the sidelines, Emira...?"

As most prisoners were asleep, including Gabriel and Arthur, Luz was the only one who was awake, crying in total pain that her girlfriend had left her.

And it was worse she didn't even tell her.

The Next Day...

Luz was tired. She had cried too long yesterday night, she barely got enough sleep.

"Hey, you alright?" Arthur asked Luz and she nodded. "You look like you just finished crying. Are you-"

Luz cut him short.

"Oh yeah! I remembered that they're gonna serve us steak today. That's so nice." Luz shot up and Arthur raised a brow.

But he knew something was wrong. If Luz were to cut him short like that, he knew that it was something that happened to her, and she didn't want to talk to anyone about it.

"It's fine if you don't want to talk about it." Arthur left for the cafeteria and Luz sighed, regretting what she had done.

Just great.

As she walked to the cafeteria, someone pounced on her. She looked back in annoyance, just for her to see one of her prison friends.

Immediately, Isabella spotted that something was wrong with Luz and she wanted her to talk about it, so that she could find a way to help her.

"Luz, is there something wrong?" She asked, caring deeply about her but Luz shook her head and kept on walking.

Isabella was there alone and felt bad. But it felt worse for Luz to hide this away from her friends. It's not like she didn't want to talk to anyone about it but she knew it wouldn't help in any way possible.

For Luz, talking was pointless.

It isn't easy to restore back a broken heart for Luz. Indeed, Luz is forgiving but she had limits to some things like every other human being existing in the world.

As she walked to the cafeteria, her mood completely changed.

Her eyes were blank, and she wasn't thinking about anything.

Now, Luz was in that state of mind.